cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make bookmark apply on top of current selection

I see two options in the Add Bookmark window:

Include Selections in Bookmark and Make bookmark apply on top of current selection.

What is the difference between the two?

What would happen if i select both?

What would happen if i select Include Selections in Bookmark and not select Make bookmark apply on top of current selection?

Is it possible to select Make bookmark apply on top of current selection and not select Include Selections in Bookmark?

Please do not copy paste from help manual. I do not understand the help manual that's why I am posting this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Kathrick,

If 'Include Selections in Bookmark' is selected, the bookmark effectively takes a snapshot of the state of every field in your dataset at the time it was created. For example, lets say we have a basic qvw with 3 fields:

TABLE_A:

LOAD * INLINE [

FIELD_A

];

TABLE_B:

LOAD * INLINE [

FIELD_B

];

TABLE_C:

LOAD * INLINE [

FIELD_C

];

If you make a selection of '1' in FIELD_A, and '1' in FIELD_B, then create a bookmark (lets call it BM1), the bookmark stores the following information:

FIELD_A = {1}

FIELD_B = {1}

Let's say that we now use the dashboard for a while and make some different selections, leaving it in a state where:

FIELD_A = {2}

FIELD_B = <no selections>

FIELD_C = {3}

What happens when we apply BM1? It overrides the selections in the two fields that it has stored information for, as follows:

FIELD_A ={2} now becomes FIELD_A = {1}

FIELD_B = <no selections> now becomes FIELD_B = {1}

FIELD_C = {3} now becomes .... ????

What does the selection state of FIELD_C become? One of two things can happen, depending on whether or not the 'Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' option was ticked:

IF ('Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' = TRUE)

then FIELD_C retains it's state, i.e. FIELD_C = {3}

IF ('Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' = FALSE)

then FIELD_C is cleared, becoming FIELD_C = <no selection>

It is not possible to select 'Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' if you haven't used 'Include Selections in Bookmark'.

Hopefully that helps, let me know if you'd like me to elaborate further or if that made sense.

Thanks,

James

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Kathrick,

If 'Include Selections in Bookmark' is selected, the bookmark effectively takes a snapshot of the state of every field in your dataset at the time it was created. For example, lets say we have a basic qvw with 3 fields:

TABLE_A:

LOAD * INLINE [

FIELD_A

];

TABLE_B:

LOAD * INLINE [

FIELD_B

];

TABLE_C:

LOAD * INLINE [

FIELD_C

];

If you make a selection of '1' in FIELD_A, and '1' in FIELD_B, then create a bookmark (lets call it BM1), the bookmark stores the following information:

FIELD_A = {1}

FIELD_B = {1}

Let's say that we now use the dashboard for a while and make some different selections, leaving it in a state where:

FIELD_A = {2}

FIELD_B = <no selections>

FIELD_C = {3}

What happens when we apply BM1? It overrides the selections in the two fields that it has stored information for, as follows:

FIELD_A ={2} now becomes FIELD_A = {1}

FIELD_B = <no selections> now becomes FIELD_B = {1}

FIELD_C = {3} now becomes .... ????

What does the selection state of FIELD_C become? One of two things can happen, depending on whether or not the 'Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' option was ticked:

IF ('Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' = TRUE)

then FIELD_C retains it's state, i.e. FIELD_C = {3}

IF ('Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' = FALSE)

then FIELD_C is cleared, becoming FIELD_C = <no selection>

It is not possible to select 'Make bookmark apply on top of current selection' if you haven't used 'Include Selections in Bookmark'.

Hopefully that helps, let me know if you'd like me to elaborate further or if that made sense.

Thanks,

James

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I understand. Thanks a lot James