Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaddeonline
Contributor III
Contributor III

Negative Zero on X axis

Hi Experts,

I have a combo chart with a dimension on Y axis and an expression on X axis. The expression resulting negative values including negative zeroes. How come there is a negative zero in the world?

Could you please guide me how to resolve this issue? I just want to see '0.0' on X axis, not '-0.0'.

Thanks and Regards

Mahesh Gadde

13 Replies
gaddeonline
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stefan,

swuehl

Did you get anything?

Thanks and Regards

Mahesh Gadde

gaddeonline
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stefan,

swuehl

I don't want to getrid of every negative value. All I want is to getrid of negative zero only.

Thanks and Regards

Mahesh Gadde

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Mahesh,

I can reproduce your issue and I believe it's a bug in the axis label calculation algorithm, in fact a kind of rounding error.

QV seems to calculate the min and max range of the chart, determines the number of labels it needs to show based on the settings in axis tab and some low artificial intelligence, and this should normally result on a label exactely at zero.

Apparently, the algorithm calculates a label that is positioned slightly different from zero, I assume due to a rounding error.

I believe this is totally independent from the values your expression return, and also occur with only positive expression values as long as the axis range ranges into negative domain.

Hence I don't think that the expressions we've suggested above will change anything.

Note that due to the assumed rounding error, small changes e.g. in numeric range used in the label algorithm might lead to observing or not observing the issue (e.g. also noticeable if you change the size of the chart, hence the number of labels),

I am attaching a sample to demonstrate the issue, and also a very, very dirty hack to show a positive zero for the exact same setting (but this will not work very well if you e.g. change the chart size).

I would suggest that you open a case with Qlik support to investigate the bug in axis labelling.

2016-06-08 23_50_09-QlikView x64 - [C__Users_Stefan_Downloads_comm218921.qvw_].png

gaddeonline
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stefan,

I appreciate your time and help in this matter.

I will let the community know if we got any positive result from Qlik Support.

Thanks everyone.

Regards

Mahesh Gadde