Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amit_B
Creator
Creator

Notification about the data structure

Hi,

I have a general question:

My app is loaded with data from Excel files whose structure should remain constant.

How can I, if is it possible, to create a kind of trigger (not sure this is the right word) that sends me an email if there is a change in the files structure (new columns, changing header name, etc.)?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
  • Other

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BookerE1
Contributor
Contributor

@Amit_B wrote:

Hi,

My app is loaded with data from Excel files whose structure should remain constant.

How can I, if is it possible, to create a kind of trigger (not sure this is the right word) that sends me an email if there is a change in the files structure (new columns, changing header name, etc.)?

Thanks!

Hello,

A trigger is a term that refers to an event or condition that initiates an action or a response. In your case, you want to create a trigger that sends you an email if there is a change in the structure of your Excel files, such as new columns or header names.

There are different ways to create such a trigger, depending on your preferences and tools. Here are some possible solutions that you can try:

Use Power Automate: Power Automate is a service from Microsoft that allows you to create automated workflows between different applications and services. You can use Power Automate to create a flow that monitors your Excel files for any changes and sends you an email notification if there is a change in the structure. You can use the trigger “When a file is created or modified (properties only)” to start the flow, and then use the action “Get a row” to get the data from the Excel file. You can then use a condition to check if the number of columns or the header names are different from the previous version, and if so, use the action “Send an email” to notify you. You can learn more about Power Automate and Excel here and here.
Use VBA: VBA is a programming language that allows you to create macros and custom functions in Excel. You can use VBA to create a macro that runs every time you open or save an Excel file and checks if there is a change in the structure. You can use the event “Workbook_Open” or “Workbook_BeforeSave” to trigger the macro, and then use the function “Columns.Count” or “Range.Address” to get the number of columns or the header names. You can then use an If statement to compare the values with the previous version, and if there is a difference, use the function “MailEnvelope” or “CreateObject” to send an email. 

I hope these solutions help you create a trigger that sends you an email if there is a change in the structure of your Excel files. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. Have a nice day! 😊

Best regard,
Booker EVail

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BookerE1
Contributor
Contributor

@Amit_B wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Hello,

A trigger is a term that refers to an event or condition that initiates an action or a response. In your case, you want to create a trigger that sends you an email if there is a change in the structure of your Excel files, such as new columns or header names.

There are different ways to create such a trigger, depending on your preferences and tools. Here are some possible solutions that you can try:

Use Power Automate: Power Automate is a service from Microsoft that allows you to create automated workflows between different applications and services. You can use Power Automate to create a flow that monitors your Excel files for any changes and sends you an email notification if there is a change in the structure. You can use the trigger “When a file is created or modified (properties only)” to start the flow, and then use the action “Get a row” to get the data from the Excel file. You can then use a condition to check if the number of columns or the header names are different from the previous version, and if so, use the action “Send an email” to notify you. You can learn more about Power Automate and Excel here and here.
Use VBA: VBA is a programming language that allows you to create macros and custom functions in Excel. You can use VBA to create a macro that runs every time you open or save an Excel file and checks if there is a change in the structure. You can use the event “Workbook_Open” or “Workbook_BeforeSave” to trigger the macro, and then use the function “Columns.Count” or “Range.Address” to get the number of columns or the header names. You can then use an If statement to compare the values with the previous version, and if there is a difference, use the function “MailEnvelope” or “CreateObject” to send an email. 

I hope these solutions help you create a trigger that sends you an email if there is a change in the structure of your Excel files. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. Have a nice day! 😊

Best regard,
Booker EVail

Amit_B
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks! I will check it.