Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ODBC drivers for PERVASIVE DB

Know anyone where I can get ODBC drivers for PERVASIVE DATABASE? Perhaps there is also free?
I am going to start with ODBC. Thank You,
Thank you.

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You need to download the trial version from here: http://www.pervasivedb.com/Database/Trials/Pages/PSQLSummitv10TrialDownloads.aspx

you need to register and get a link. Then only install the pervasive client, not the server trial version. If you're on a 64-bit server then you still need to install the 32-bit client.

After that you can create a connection through the qlikview code interface.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi There,

There is a bit of a gotcha with using Pervasive databases, unless someone is aware of a way around this.....

It would appear that when the ODBC connection is used that any indexes set up in the Pervasive database are not employed - so a full table scan is used each time. When we tried to pull out just the current months data from a table with a few years history it was the best part of an hour before any rows were returned (as the new rows are at the end of the table). Doing this in the desktop version of QlikView it appears to hang, as the time elapsed is only updated as rows come in, it is also impossible to cancel out cleanly unless rows are being brought in.

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve

We've seem to run into the same problem. Have you managed to derive a work around since your last post?

What about the new QVX feature in QlikView 10?

Regards,

Ferdinand

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ferdinand,

This was quite a long time ago now on a client site that I have not been back to for some time....

We did get the data extracts going at a sensible rate in the end, and I seem to recall that the indexes would be used provided the SQL statement was structured to exactly match the index. For example, make sure the fields in the where clause appear in the same order as they do in the index. Also, if there is a field in an index that you don't want to limit your extract to still put it in the where clause of your statement as Field = '%' - to ensure the index is used.

The requirement for this derives from the fact that the query parser in Pervasive (or maybe just the ODBC driver) is not as intelligent as most RDBMS's and does not work out execution plans very well.

If you have serious amounts of data you need to move about and want bespoke drivers then I can recommend speaking to a company called Attunity. Getting data from 'classic' systems is what they are all about.

This may be stating the obvious - but if you have slow data transfer from your source system put some thought into QVD usage and incremental loads - search Qlik Communities for more information on this.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Steve.

I'll test over the weekend.

Regards,

Ferdinand

felixobes
Contributor III
Contributor III

How did it go? Any good results?

felixobes
Contributor III
Contributor III

You mean the Connect product? I liked the value proposition they propose, but I am interested in the Pervasive data.

milkyryan
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Guys,

Just quickly I've had some experience connecting to Pervasive databases when supporting a Sage product (Platinum for Windows if that rings a bell...).

While the Pervasive server/client ODBC drivers worked reasonably well, we also had a good experience using some old Intersolv (now known as DataDirect I believe) btrieve ODBC drivers.

This would work without Pervasive SQL installed and very simple to set up, just needed data dictionary (DDF) files in the relevant data folder).

Re performance it seemed to work quite well on large data sets but hard to say if there will be an improvement over Pervasive ODBC drivers.

It looks like newer versions are available from DataDirect if you wanted to contact them for more info: "http://www.datadirect.com/support/product-documentation/product-information/support-matrices/datadir..."

felixobes
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ok, now I managed to connect using the progress drivers. Still, I am only able to pull data from one table at a time.