Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

OSuser only calculates in desktop application?

I am using the OSuser() function to retrieve the currently logged in viewer's Employee ID, which I then pass into a field selection in order to apply default selections on Document open. I also have a Reset button that restores the default selections if someone gets click-happy in the application.

I am storing the user's domain name in a variable called vOSuser, which is"=OSuser()"

When I am developing the document using the desktop application, the variable calculates fine. When I access it through the AccessPoint, it simply returns "=OSuser()"

The same is occurring for my vQVuser variable. We are using single-sign on for the web app, so it must be getting the user's domain name, I'm not sure why it won't just pass that into the application.

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hey Tom,

• Did you create this in Settings > Variable Overview? Like  vOSUser       =  OSUser()
  • Does it work in Web view
  • Do you have Ajax or IE plugin client
  • If Ajax what browser are you using

Thanks

AJ

maxgro
MVP
MVP

just tried

OSUser()   works in Ajax and in IE plugin too

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for responding so quickly. I guess I am not familiar with the Ajax piece of this.

I am using Google Chrome as my browser.

I created the variable by going to Settings > Variable Overview in the document. Is there a different way to create variables that will achieve what I am looking for?

maxgro
MVP
MVP

me too I used that way

there are different ways but the result is the same (you can always see the vars in Settings --> Variable Overview)

I used IE 11 (plugin) and Chrome to check (Ajax)

Short:

Ajax is used when you open a Qlik document on Access Point (server) with a non IE browser

With a IE browser you can choose between Ajax and IE plugin (if installed on pc)

If you want to simulate (mmhhhhhhh......) Ajax in Qlik desktop from Menu --> View --> Turn on/off webview

1.png

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Massimo. I will test first thing Monday and post my results. On the face of it, it doesn't appear to be working in Ajax for me. When I am viewing in IE with the plugin set in my profile, the variable calculates as expected. My Ajax results are attached in my first post in the web-app.jpg file. Thanks again.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you create a simple text box with just ='$(vOSUser)' in the expression of the text box - what do you get?

I can see no reason why this wouldn't return the same as in the Desktop version.

Given that OSUser() is a lightweight function and has no parameters there is not a lot of advantage to using a variable. You could try just using the OSUser function in place of the variable and see if that helps?

Steve

Not applicable
Author

So here are the results of my tests...

Simulating web view in the desktop app isn't working, I receive the script error below and when I select "Yes" I just get a blank canvas.

web-view-error.JPG.jpg

I then decided to test in Firefox and, to my surprise, the variable returns the correct value. For whatever reason, this appears to be a problem isolated to Chrome. Any idea on a browser setting that might be getting in the way?

Chrome:

chrome-ss.JPG.jpg

Firefox:

firefox-ss.JPG.jpg

maxgro
MVP
MVP

perhaps a different version?

my chrome version is Version 34.0.1847.116 m

the server I used for testing is 11.20 SR5

not sure if this is related to your problem

Impossible to switch to web view: browser does not support XmlDocument objects.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The WebView not working was a problem with the latest version of IE and an earlier release of QlikView.

I would strongly suggest upgrading to 11.2 SR5 on both the Desktop and the Server.

Steve