Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

OpenLayers mapping - containter boxes causing strange placement of map

Hi all,

I am mapping some information on a map of the UK and want to compare multiple versions of the mapped info using side by size container boxes. I have this strange occurance that when I try and do this, the immage from the seccond container box sits outside of the container and instead is located benieth the 1st container. The below picture will descibe what I mean. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue? (Please bear in mind my QlikView skills are not yet very advanced - I did not write the code the mapping - this was done by a colleauge).

Many thanks,

Isabel

Mapping error in container box.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I showed it in the 2nd screenshot of the above post.

Listbox with the Expression field.

Variable vExpression containing "=only(Formula)"

Map using $(=vExpression) in the meausre (or Opacity Expression depending on the extension you are using) property.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Try to use the tab mode within the container.

If still find rendering issues, don't use the container and place two different objects and some text objects or buttons to show / hide a specific map.

Or, just place the two maps side by side.

If you have many metrics, you can use one map and use a dynamic measure (with a variable) so you won't need many map objects.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Borja,

There does not seem to be a "Mode" tab in the container box properties. I think that both solutions would work, the first would be easy for me to do, but I would like to get it working with variables. Could you point me to somewhere where I can learn how to create variables?

For this work, I will have a selection of measures under which I will rank 152 areas on England. It is this rank that then determines the collouring. i.e. in the map:  if(rank(sum(total<[AREA#]> MEASURE))<=50,rgb(44,27,69), ....

Could you suggest how I set it up such that the measure is a variable?

Thank you,

Isabel

Not applicable
Author

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the tab mode.

I was referring to the "Single Object" mode in the Container:

ScreenShot080.png

About using variables, you can create/manage document variables using the Variable Overview panel (Ctrl+Alt+V) or in the Variables tab within the Document Properties section.

Create a variable vExpression using:

=only(Expression)

where Expression is the field containing the "label" of the expression and Formula is a field with the associated value to Expression which contains the expression to use in the chart.

Then, in the extension, use:

$(=vExpression)

ScreenShot082.png

Hope it helps.

Not applicable
Author

Looked easy, but I am obviously not quite there.... I have set up one variable as shown below in the screen shot, and then in the mapping extension I have written "if($(=vEngagement_Rank)<=50,rgb(44,27,69)..." but this does not seem to register any collours.... I tried taking the "only" out and this gave me a different, quite wrong picture of everything colloured in rather than none or even the correct shading which I have already in the above post .

Variable.png

Any further tips? Also, how will I get the map to change from this variable, to another without creating a new graph?

Thanks for your help,

Isabel

Not applicable
Author

You are missing one step Isabel, creating the Formula field with the formula.

I created it with an inline table in the script, as follows:

LOAD * INLINE [

Expresssion, Formula

Expression A, "Index(Municipi,'e')"

Expression B, len(Municipi)

];

And the variable vExpression contains

=only(Formula)

You cannot replace your formula inside the ONLY function in the variable because it won't work, it is not the same thing.

Try to replicate the variables table above or, in vExpression use:

=rank(.... Hours)

Not applicable
Author

I realise that I am taking this as verbatim, but the script looks unhappy:

LOAD

* INLINE [

Expresssion, Formula

Expression_Eng_Rank, rank(sum(total<[LA No]
> [Hours])),

Expression_TBC_Count, count(distinct
[LA No])

];

Not applicable
Author

When using Inline tables, enclose the values between double quotes when using special characters:

LOAD * INLINE [

Expresssion, Formula

Expression_Eng_Rank, "rank(sum(total<[LA No]
> [Hours]))"

Expression_TBC_Count, "count(distinct
[LA No])"

];

Take a look at my inline table:

LOAD * INLINE [

Expresssion, Formula

Expression A, "Index(Municipi,'e')"

Expression B, len(Municipi)

];

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I tried this too, but it still does not accept it in the script. Maybe the script is unable to do the formula I am using (?) but I know the formula works properly in the orignical chart which seems strange to me.

LOAD

* INLINE [

Expresssion, Formula

Expression_Eng_Rank, "rank(sum(total<[LA No]
> [Hours]))"

Expression_TBC_Count, "
count(distinct [LA No])"

];

Not applicable
Author

I see. I tried it and also get the error too, due to the [] characters I think.

Ok, different approach, try to load from an xls file (or csv, etc.). Like the attached file.