Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Out of virtual and/or logical memory

Hello,

When opening an existing QV application (of about 200MB) we receive the error message that we are out of virtual and/or logical memory.

Probably we have pc's (laptops) that are not strong enough but I would like to understand where I have to act on the complexity of this model in order to make it possible to simplify it. Because we also have applications that are 300MB big and that don't give this error. So it is not purely the bigness of the file but there should be somewhere a complexity or configuration or datamodel that generates too much internal memory use. If you could give me an idea of where I should start looking that would be great.

Thanks a lot in advance for your response.

Best regards

Thierry Renaer

6 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

200MB and 300MB I guess is the QVW-filesize. That is a very heavly disk-optimized compressed application that will actually expand into manyfold when it is less compressed in-memory. A non-optimal data model can lead to very high memory usage.

How much memory do you have on your laptops? Is this when you open a QVW-file directly with "File Open" on a laptop - that is not throught the server as "File Open in Server".

Wrongly configured virtual memory on the laptops could also lead to this problem.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you use Windows Task Manager and look at the QV.exe and how much memory this consumes if you open and use the QVW then you will get the idea of how much memory the QlikView application needs for one single user. If you run this on a QlikView Server you can add ~5-10% for each additional user of the same application.

You could also use the Memory Statistics button on the Settiongs / Document Properties dialog box on the General Tab to generate a CSV-file that gives you the in-memory details of your application. You will have to analyze this either with a specially built QlikView application or Excel or better yet with Rob Wunderlich's "Document Analyzer" free QlikView application.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

This issue comes because of the following

- Doing complex calculations in charts

- Using Calculated dimension

- Displaying huge data in Table charts

- Complex Data model with Synthetic keys

- Using any Aggr()

- Displaying many charts in single sheet

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Hi Please check Document Analyzer 1.14.

It will help you. Thank You.

daniel_kusiak
Creator II
Creator II

Here u can find much newer version of Document Analyzer - http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/document-analyzer/

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Hi Daniel_Kusiak

Thank you for the link. It is better to use updated one.