Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pie Chart Line Thickness / Colour

Hi,

I know it's been asked before but I was wondering if there had been any development beyond the "pick another style" answer to the last query.

I need to use a flat block colour in a pie chart and there seems to be only one style that gives this - first one in the list.  You can select a gradient colour if needed, but it defaults to plain which is perfect for me.  My problem is the rather heavy black lines that edge the pie chart and separate the segments.  These are far too strong and stand out too much even against quite strong colours.  What is really frustrating is that there are style options with no lines, or quite faint white lines, but neither of these will allow a flat block colour, instead it is a gradient / shaded version which I cannot have.  This isn't a case of me being picky, it's a branding and design issue so I really have to get it right!

Help!

Thanks,

Emma

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

email I had from consultant support:

The only way that I can get close to your requirement is to use the colormix2() function in properties > expressions > select + > background color. (With the gradient + white line pie chart).

In the simplest form use an if statement to find the selection and set the colormix2().

if([YourDimension] = 'YourSelection', colormix2(0.9,LightGreen(),Green()))

You could also use the RGB(xxx,xxx,xxx) function instead of the named colours to get the mix right.

From the manual...

"colormix2( Value, ColorMinusOne, ColorOne [ ,ColorZero] )

returns an RGB color representation from a gradient between two colors based on a value between -1 and 1 with the possibility to specify an intermediate color for the center position. If the value is equal to -1 the first color will be returned. If it is 1, the second color is returned and if it is in between the appropriate intermediate shading is returned.

Value is a real number between -1 and 1.

ColorMinusOne is a valid RGB color representation for the color to be associated with the low end of the interval.

ColorOne is a valid RGB color representation for the color to be associated with the high end of the interval.

ColorZero is a optional valid RGB color representation for the color to be associated with the center of the interval.

Examples:

colormix2( x, red (), green()) returns colors from red to green via brown colormix2( x, red (), green(), black()) returns colors from red to green via black"

You can essentially adjust the colours to undo the gradient in order to get in as close to a solid colour as possible.

None of this worked ... still got a gradient 😞

Not applicable
Author

Reply from QlikTech sales guy (after I asked the question at the V11 Roadshow):

I have spoken to one of our technical consultants about your challenge below, it doesn’t look like what you are trying to achieve is achievable in the standard product, but, is achievable if you build an extension object .

So equally ... not much help.  I'm really dissapointed that such a simple requirement isn't a simple option, there seems to be a move to introduce more flexibility and huge amounts of complexity but not address some basic functionality.  Just going to have to live with an ugly pie chart.

QlikTech - you need to make sure you don't overcomplicate this!  One of the downsides mentioned in comparitive reviews is the level of complexity that is being introduced, yet you seem to have missed a few really basic options.