Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Poor performance of Bookmarks via Actions and a workaround.

Hi,

Has anyone applied a bookmark via a trigger and experienced a performance issue.

Basically I recently created a Bookmark which contained multiple selections on 3 fields in the underlying model. I the triggered this Bookmark to be applied via the OnActivateSheet event of a particular sheet in my application. This method worked but the downside was it took about 8 seconds to make the selections and enter the sheet.

If a user is on another sheet and recalls the bookmark via the bookmark menu it takes about 3 seconds to apply the selections and enter the sheet.

I subsequently removed the apply bookmark action on the tab and replaced it with 3 separate select in field actions (value1|value2|value3) on the tab. Using this method it takes less than 1 second to make the selections and enter the sheet. This is the method that I am going to use for obvious reasons but I was just wondering if anyone could explain the overhead when a bookmark is applied via an action or perhaps explain what is happening under the bonnet when a bookmarks is applied in this way.

Kind Regards,

Footsie

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

This still seems to happen in v10 SR3.

Anyone know what's happening to cause this?

tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Just a thought,

did you have "Include Layout State" checked while creating the bookmark?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tanel,

Yes Include Layout State was checked. I am interested to hear your thought.

I did see on the latest Qlikview 9 SR 7 release notes a resolved issue that may be related.

Bug 40228: Qlikview - OnActivateSheet trigger: Trigger seems to be misfiring when using a

Kind Regards,

Footsie

bookmark.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tanel,

Good spot. I have unchecked Include Layout State and the selections are applied instantly when I trigger the bookmark OnActivateSheet. It appears that the time cost is related to the layout state. I am still interested in what exactly happens under the bonnet when include layout state is checked as there is a huge time difference.

Kind Regards,

Footsie.

tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

No problem: you can export both bookmarks (with and without Layout State) to xml files. Then open and compare. There is quite a bit of additional code for Layout state.