Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem by calculating the average

Dear Collegues,

I have an application in which I use three tables:

1. the first one i have all the production orders sent to our suppliers and its day and supplier
RELEASE_DAYORDERSUPPLIER
01/01/20171A
01/01/20172A
01/01/20173B

2. the second one i have the "queue" of all the suppliers in every day since today - 400 days ago

DAYQUEUESUPPLIER
01/01/20172.4A
01/01/20171.4B

3. I have a master calendar. the purpose I created that calendar is to show in a graph all the days, instead of only the days that there was an order release.

How they are related:

The first table is related with the second one by DAY and SUPPLIER. The second one is related with the third one by the day only;

My goal of showing all the day was accomplished, but the thing is: I want to calculate the average queue of all suppliers in a certain day, but only I can do is calculate the average queue of the suppliers that had a realeased order in that day.

Can someone help me with this?

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve, so an expected result with the provided data would definitely help.

Maybe it's just about how you are calculating the average, so instead

=Avg(QUEUE)

you could try something like

=Sum(QUEUE) / Count(TOTAL DISTINCT SUPPLIER)

to calculate the average using all distinct suppliers across all dimensional (date) values.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Stefan, you are right, I guess I wasnt specific enough.

Let´s suppose that my supplier´s base is the one below with it´s WIP on the day 01/01/2017

Supplier WIP.JPG

The average WIP (what I am trying to calculate) in that case is  1.4.

What the application is doing is taking into account only the Suppliers that had a realease date in the day Im willing to check.

Supplier WIP.JPG

In the day 01/01/2017, only the Suppliers A, B and E had an order released to them. For that reason, the application is returning the average as 1.5, instead of 1.4.

Thus, my question is: how to make it take the 5 suppliers into account, instead of only 3?

Thks!