Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem while using MonthName in the expression for calculation

Hi All,

I want the sales growth this month when compared to last month in gauge chart. Wants to the display the current month name in words instead of numbers in the chart.

What in need to show the month name in years. As i can't calculate the current month and previous name in the expression MonthName-1 as the values are in words. It can to be calculate using Month-1 and that name should be displayed in words. Please help me out!

Have attached my sample application with this.

24 Replies
Not applicable
Author

There is the system variable 'MonthNames' that holds an array of month names like this:

January;February,March....

you could use the 'index' function to match the month you have as a text to convert it to a number.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply. I am not able to understand your idea. Can you please create the same in my application which i have attached in my last post? user id: 0010012021 password:c2info99

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon,

I don't know how to do that. Can you please help me out. Still i couldn't solve this issue.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon & All,

I have attached the application for your reference. In that date fields are in words. I wanted to show sales growth of current month when compared to last month. But the problem which i am facing here is. If the month name is in words in the list box what how can i use that in the expression when i want to compare the sales growth of last month when compared to this month. I can't use MonthName-1 to get the previous month like Month-1.

So please let me know the alternative for this.

To open the application please use useid:0010012021, password: c2info99

Not applicable
Author

This will give you the names of the 'Max(Month)' and 'Max(Month-1)' by giving a substring in the system variable MonthNames.

=subfield(MonthNames, ';', Max(Month)) & ' vs ' & subfield(MonthNames, ';', Max(Month)-1)

Is this what you wanted?

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

This will give you the name of 'Max(Month)' and 'Max(Month -1) ' by substringing the system variable 'MonthNames' (use 'LongMonthNames' for the full month name)

=subfield(MonthNames, ';', Max(Month)) & ' vs ' & subfield(MonthNames, ';', Max(Month)-1)

Is this what you are after?

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Thankful to you if you do the required changes in the document that i have attached. Will be easy for me to learn.

Not applicable
Author

Hope now it will be easy for you to understand my problem. In the list list box month are displayed in words. And in the gauge group months are displayed in numbers. I want that to be in words instead of (12 vs 11). Problem here is if use Month as MonthName in the list box i couldn't should show the month in words as in the list box month is in words and couldn't do the MonthName-1 Calculation. hope you understood. If not please ask me where you couldn't understand.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Hope you might looking for like this:

Month(MakeDate(Year(Today()),MonthFiledName,Day(MonthStart(Today())))) Vs Month(MakeDate(Year(Today()),MonthFiledName-1,Day(MonthStart(Today()))))

I think create date using Number of month and then take Month name to use in the expression

while creating date using MakeDate Function use dummy Year and day

that will give you a Month name of selected Month and by subtracting 1 from Month field you will get Previos Month Name

Hope this approach will solve your problem...................

Or see the function Month and makeDate

e.g

Month(MakeDate(2009,12,21)) will give Dec