Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Heatmaps

Hi All,

I have a heatmap in qlikview to highlight various issues (big problem - red, small problem turning towards yellow) and need some help.

This heatmap works on on the whole dataset but when filters the same filters are not applied to heat map i.e. a colour originally set on a data set is still the same irrespective of filters.

I reckon I need to include some dynamic logic in the RGB function so that the colours changes as per filters but now how sure what and how.

= RGB(255,255-(255*AVI/5000),0)

Thanks

Kash

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's probably easier to use the colormix function. The colormix wizard makes this quite easy. Click on the + in front of the expression, select Background Color and then open the expression editor of the Definition input box. In the expression editor choose File->Colormix Wizard. The Value Expression is usually the same as the expression in your chart, i.e. the one you want to determine the value for the heatmap. Next choose your colors and accept the other defaults. At the end you'll have a big complicated colormix expression, but it'll do the job even if you don't completely understand it .

See attached example.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's probably easier to use the colormix function. The colormix wizard makes this quite easy. Click on the + in front of the expression, select Background Color and then open the expression editor of the Definition input box. In the expression editor choose File->Colormix Wizard. The Value Expression is usually the same as the expression in your chart, i.e. the one you want to determine the value for the heatmap. Next choose your colors and accept the other defaults. At the end you'll have a big complicated colormix expression, but it'll do the job even if you don't completely understand it .

See attached example.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

I have a business customer that was asking how to do heatmaps easily like in Tableau!   At first, it appears that QlikView does not have this native functionality.  Now I understand they just have a different approach.  Instead of defining a prebuilt "Heatmap" that you can select in the Chart wizard, they allow you to make many different types of Heatmaps using the Background Color feature and the Colormix Wizard you point out above.  Thanks for this answer !!   Its a feature that's kind of buried...but once you find it... it nails the Heatmap requirement quite well !!

Not applicable
Author

I have also found this logic works when added to Background color of Expressions tab in Chart properties.

This is basically calculating one of the RGB colors dynamically based on the data and turning color from max to min within the dataset.

=RGB (255,255-(255*[Your dynamic number]/Your dynamic number),0)

Hope that helps as well.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Gysbert,

How I can put two dimensions, one in vertical and the other one in horizontal positions in order to create semi-heatmap table?

thank you,

Best Regards,

Nasim

martin_escobar
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello Gysbert,

This example is very useful. I have a Question: Is there a way to apply the color gradient by Product only? For example the max sales for Bananas was in January with 14 so it will be green and the min sales for Bananas was in July, September and December thus color Red. I mean, is there a way to apply the gradient only within the dimention Product? Using the same data, the result I am looking for should look like this or similar.

colormix.png