Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview - not showing data from snowflaked dimension unless direct join dimension column is chosen

PivotTable_Data.png

I have the above QV data model (reflects the back end data model as well)

As per the above, when selecting dimensions from a dim table not directly joined to a fact table, no data is shown

However on selecting from a direct join dim table (and only as the first column in used dimensions), data is populated.

This is even though the dimension is linked to the Fact via an intermediate table i.e. DimLocation above.

Does this make sense from QV behaviour perspective - I should point out I am quite new to QV data models.

I have to add that I can see data from the Tables by previewing from table viewer

Hope this makes sense, happy to clarify further as needed

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

What is the expression you are using in your chart table? Are you using an aggregation function like sum()? If not, try so:

=sum(FIELD)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

What is the expression you are using in your chart table? Are you using an aggregation function like sum()? If not, try so:

=sum(FIELD)

Not applicable
Author

hi

Thanks for that I wasn't using an aggregate, seems to have helped..a bit puzzled why this happens only to a indirectly joined dimension column and not the dimension directly joined to Fact table?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Probably because there is only one value. If there is no explicit aggregation function, QlikView uses Only() which returns a value if (and only if) there is one possible value.

There is no difference in the evaluation logic between directly joined fields and other fields.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

ok, there is definitely more than one value in both dim tables, if this is what you were referring to.

but the issue is resolved with the addition of the aggregation to the measure, I was just curious why the behaviour was different depending on which dim table was being used.

Thanks to both Henric and swuehl for answers.