Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QlikView_99
Contributor III
Contributor III

Re: Loading Multiple sheets from multiple folders

I have a script which load all files in the subfolders in a given main folder, also have a separate script where multiple sheets in different files in a folder can be loaded.

Whereas the exact thing I'm looking for is how can we write a script that can load all the sheets from these different files which are in different folders.

Example: Lets say there are 2021, 2022, 2023 folders, each of the folder has different files Jan21.xlsx, Feb21.xlsl etc., in 2021 folder,  Jan22.xlsx, Feb22.xlsx in 2022 folder and so on.

These files (xlsx one's) has different sheets in them by country, i.e., India, USA, UK, Germary etc., as different sheets in each file.

Now I need to load all the 3 years of files with all the countries coming up.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

You are using the wrong iterator in the loop for fetching the sheets - it must j instead of i.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
marcus_sommer

It's just a further loop against a dirlist(). Within the help is a great example of it:

For each..next | Qlik Cloud Help

cristianj23a
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

You can accomplish loading multiple Excel files across different subfolders in Qlik Sense using a combination of loops and wildcard characters. Here's an example script that you can use:

cristianj23a_0-1691527723153.png

Here's an explanation of how this code works:

- The outer loop goes through the years 2021, 2022, and 2023.
- The middle loop goes through the months Jan, Feb, Mar, etc.
- The inner loop uses FileList to iterate through each Excel file in the specified Year/Month folder.
- Inside the inner loop, separate LOAD statements are used for each country's sheet (India, USA, UK, Germany).

You can adjust the folder paths and sheet names as necessary to match your file structure.

This will load all the specified sheets from all the Excel files across the folders into a single Qlik Sense table. Make sure that all the sheets have the same structure, or you may need to make adjustments to the LOAD statements to handle different formats.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cristianjorge/
Do not forget to mark as "Accepted Solution" the comment that resolves the doubt.
QlikView_99
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for having a look at it and I've tried writing a script to accomplish what I'm trying to and attached are the one's that might help you to resolve the issue here.

QlikView_99
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for taking time to explain the scenario, but unfortunately the resolution you mentioned doesn't fit my criteria. I don't want to force the years and months but read them from the folders. I've added the working file, where I've tried to make it work. Please have a look at it. 

marcus_sommer

What's the issue? Your script worked. Instead of just listing the files you could also load from them.

Just a few further hints. You should make your loading more explicitly by specifying to which table the load should be concatenated - means something like:

concatenate([myTable])

because otherwise the last loaded table would be taken.

Another point to keep attention for is that such for-loops and also external if-loop as well as sub-routines are control-structures which have a validity-workspace like it's common within many programming-tools. This means for example that a variable which is created within such area exists only there and is not globally available.

QlikView_99
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Marcus, my script attached above is executing but not working as expected. It's loading only few files and not everything. Could you explain the concat thing you've said a bit futher.

QlikView_99_0-1691566374939.png

QlikView_99_1-1691566389786.png

marcus_sommer

You are using the wrong iterator in the loop for fetching the sheets - it must j instead of i.

QlikView_99
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your input. It's working.