Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hibhardwaj
Contributor III
Contributor III

Reading Excel specific cell value

I am very new to QV, and am trying to build a report using some EXCEL sheets. The excel sheet has some data in the header format and some data presented in a table format. I am able to read the data that is in the table format; but I want to read a specific cell from the other data presented in the header format. Can I do that? Whats the command/ syntax to read a specific cell from an excel file.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

~H

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

This is a bit of a workaround because there's no method I know of to simply go and read a specific cell reference.

Let's say that you have the following:

Cell A1 is a title:     Data Set Name     Cell B1 contains the name itself (this is one of the cells you want to read.

Cell A2 is a title and underneath that is a bit of data in A3 that you want to read

Just set up a further two loads of the data from excel, the first load will have no header and no embedded labels, this will create a load statement for you and you need to amend that:

Created statement:

LOAD @1, @2, @3, @4 FROM excelfile........

Change this to

FIRST 1 LOAD @2 FROM excelfile......

For reading cell A3, do the same thing BUT, set the heading lines to 2 and then read column @1

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable

This is a bit of a workaround because there's no method I know of to simply go and read a specific cell reference.

Let's say that you have the following:

Cell A1 is a title:     Data Set Name     Cell B1 contains the name itself (this is one of the cells you want to read.

Cell A2 is a title and underneath that is a bit of data in A3 that you want to read

Just set up a further two loads of the data from excel, the first load will have no header and no embedded labels, this will create a load statement for you and you need to amend that:

Created statement:

LOAD @1, @2, @3, @4 FROM excelfile........

Change this to

FIRST 1 LOAD @2 FROM excelfile......

For reading cell A3, do the same thing BUT, set the heading lines to 2 and then read column @1

Hope this helps.

hibhardwaj
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That was absolutely spot on!

I had to get rid of additional lines as header, since the cell I was trying to read was Cell (J,4).

Thank you so much!

Not applicable

My pleasure