Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ankitg4688
Contributor III
Contributor III

Replace Link keys in Qlkview

Hi,

We can form a link table and a link key when there are multiple common columns across fact tables or dimensions. But, the link key slows down the performance of the dashboard if the data model is complex having many tables. Can we somehow replace this big link key and increase the performance of joins happening at backend and ultimately performance of charts in Dashboard?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Br,

Ankit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Ankit,

Autonumber will be a far better choice than Autonumberhash128. An Autonumber field will take up much less memory and associating tables with integer keys gives much better performance than associating with text keys.

Regards

Andrew

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

I don't believe about performance because Link Key is very attraction and no issue in Perf. respect. Here, I would add my point from a & '|' & b as Composite_Key please change your script to Autonumber(a & '|' & b) as Linked_Key

Note - Chances are there to improve performance. If not, I would ask you to share structure of Data model and rows allocate to the Link Table?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
ankitg4688
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Anil,

Thanks for your response. Actually, I am not aware about Autonumber function in case of Link keys. Could you please explain how does this work?

Br,

Ankit

Muthu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Autonumber function gives a unique integer number in the data model for the table.

autonumber ‒ QlikView

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Link tables can perform poorly (slow recalculation times) if the cardinality of the link table is high. Autonumbering helps (and reduces the app size too), but I have learnt to be wary of link tables in large data sets.

However, you should have no problems with models of the order of 100k - 1M rows.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
ankitg4688
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Jonathan,

My data model has 200 Million+ rows. 4 fact tables. 2 Common columns which are combined to form Link Key. And I am not using Autonumber function. Is it good to use Autonumber of Autonumberhash128? Will it increase the performance?

Br,

Ankit

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Ankit,

Autonumber will be a far better choice than Autonumberhash128. An Autonumber field will take up much less memory and associating tables with integer keys gives much better performance than associating with text keys.

Regards

Andrew

ankitg4688
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. I will try to implement as suggested.

Br,

Ankit