Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Resource problem with a diagram - formulas too complex - Plz help

Hi,

I have a diagram that is mainly for management to see and that displays

- a list of all the KPIs in the app (in a table)

- a YTD-value for each and

- a status_light that is dependent on the YTD_value.

The problem is, the formula for calculating the YTD_value of a presence quota, such as I have it, is quite complex. I have that formula three times for the YTD-value (three plants) and I have three status_lights which basically repeat the formula and compare it to a fixed target_value.

Another complicating factor is that all this is just ONE diagram, but every KPI (every line) needs an individual formula for the YTD_value - so I have a large nested IF-construction with a different formula specified for every line.

Now, since I built in the YTD_values for the three presence quotas yesterday, the diagram will kill itself loading - the script is relatively quick and without problems.

The formula I have for calculating a YTD_value for this is currently

({1}DISTINCT PN_H3&Jahrestag) / COUNT({1<%Datum = {">=01.01.2013"}, %Datum = {"$(= '<' & v_today_dt)" }>} Werktag)
     -
COUNT({1<Kennz_krank_H3={'X'}>}DISTINCT PN_H3&Jahrestag) / COUNT({1<%Datum = {">=01.01.2013"}, %Datum = {"$(= '<' & v_today_dt)" }, Werktag={1}>} Werktag))
     /
     (
COUNT({1}DISTINCT PN_H3&Jahrestag) / COUNT({1<%Datum = {">=01.01.2013"}, %Datum = {"$(= '<' & v_today_dt)" }>} Werktag)))

(I count the people*days YTD and divide it by the nr. of days YTD,

then I subtract (the nr. of people*days who have been out sick, divided by the nr. of days) and finally

I divide that by (the first line again).

All that three - nay, six times - is obviously too much for my machine.

How can I make this lighter?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: It seems that the COUNT also returns the wrong nr. of days - 365 instead of 261. I'm confused because I tested it beforehand, but now it seems I'll have to replace every instance of COUNT by SUM.
I will try putting that calculation (the days past YTD) in a variable that I can use in those formulas instead of typing it out every time.

P.P.S.: Okay - alwaysch schlowly as the Latins say 😉 I realized I had some consistency problems between my apps - the variables in part had different names, causing the formula to fail. I will solve that now for good by creating a few qvs files for INCLUDEs, in one of which I'll have my formula for days_past_YTD. Then I can use that in the formulas for that big diagram and hopefully that will solve my problem.

P.P.P.S.: Oh Sh... I cannot use set_expressions in the script, so I cannot put the formulas I would use to calculate some variables in a qvs file...

6 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I have a very specific problem now:

- I have a master_calendar that goes back two years and until Dec 31 of this year.

- In the formula for my variable (the nr. of working_days YTD), I have actually specified Jan 1 of this year as start_date

<=> Still, the variable now tells me there have been about 500 working_days.

<=> When I edit the qvs file so that the calendar has only this year, the figure is correct.

My current code for the variable (not in the qvs file, but in a template I have created) is:

= SUM({1<%Datum = {">=01.01.2013"}, %Datum = {"$(= '<' & DATE(v_today_num))" }>} Werktag)

(where "Werktag" is a binary field, returning 1 for Mon-Fri and 0 for Sat-Sun and "%Datum" is my date_field, used to link most diagrams to the master_calendar.

Can anyone help me here, please?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: I have replaced that hard-coded date with a formula now to make the thing flexible so that I won't spend Jan 2 of next year repairing everything - it works, but the problem remains the same.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Please - this is really a problem.

I have "fixed" it for now by editing the qvs file so that the calender is for this year only - but I know that for some diagram(s) in the app I am working on (it was originally created by a colleague) a longer-range calendar is necessary, so that is not a long-run solution.

My code for the variable is now

SUM({1<%Datum = {"$(= '>=' & makedate(year(today()), 1, 1))"}, %Datum = {"$(= '<' & DATE(v_today_num))" }>} Werktag)

("Werktag" is my binary field, %Datum is generally the date_field, "v_today_num" is the numerical value of (TODAY)).

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

four hours, one qvs file, several variables, two posts here and two large coffee later my original problem is solved.

That problem with that calendar, however, remains.

Maybe i should open a new thread for that?

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Hi Hofmann,

Can realize your despair. And it's true that you are not new to this community, still, it would be my suggestion to go through these two threads:

How to get answer to your post  and Preparing example for upload

Thanks.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

That citation by Robert Half is great 😉

I will begin by trying once again - as you've realized, I have been in deep waters today, there might have been something wrong which is ok now, so it might just work now. If now, I will attach some txt files with my master_calendar_qvs and the code for my variable and for the final expression.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

No, unfortunately the problem remains.

So now I will attach some things:

- the qvs file I have created with my calendar and some variables

- a txt file with the formula I use for creating my variable.

The formula is not the problem - I have solved my original problem: In that one app where the formula was calculated six times, resulting in the laptop breaking down, the use of that variable helped.

The problem, which I cannot spot the reason for, is this:

- When I have the calendar for the current year only (not the way it is now), the figures are correct - 188 working_days YTD, not taking into account public holidays.

<=> When I enlarge the calendar to three years (the way it is now), I get three times the nr. of working_days...

Is that precise enough to pinpoint the reason for my problem?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler