Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Return ID at Min/Max Location

Hi all,

I'd like to create a (straight table) expression that that returns an ID (or some specified field) given the location of a min/max value. For instance, I'm using the Min() function to to find the minimum value in a range on prices, and now I'd like to move (horizontally) within the same row on the data sheet to return a different ID (in my case, a date) at that location.

In simpler terms, if I find that the minimum purchase price of product XYZ was $1, I want to know what the date on which that product was purchased (it might have been purchased at a higher price on a different date).

I cannot simply ad the date field as an expression/dimension because it will return multiple values

ProductIDMinVal
Date@Min
1$1?
2$4
3$5
4$2
5$3
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Did you try this

=DATE(FIRSTSORTEDVALUE(Datefield,-MinVal))

here is how it looks on my App, I have different fields of Course!!

2013-05-16_2200.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Did you try this

=DATE(FIRSTSORTEDVALUE(Datefield,-MinVal))

here is how it looks on my App, I have different fields of Course!!

2013-05-16_2200.png

Not applicable
Author

That works perfectly!... in most cases. What if the min/max value appears in the data several times on several different dates (the product ID was purchased at the same min value on 3 different dates, for instance). In that case, I'm returning a '-' because there are multiple selections from which to choose. I don't care too much which date it chooses, as long as I have one for reference. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Add the DISTINCT keyword in the FirstSortedValue() function

FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT ...

-Rob

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

See Rob's answer below, can you give out the points please!

Not applicable
Author

Hey Rob and Alan,

You guys are geniuses! Thanks for the help - worked like a charm.

On a side note, any idea why it underlines the expression in red when you ad the DISTINCT keyword, even thought it is an acceptable expression ("expression ok" in the expression box)?

-Paul

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think it's just a case of the syntax checker being wrong. There are a few examples of this. Like the "WHEN" prefix which always flags as red:

when A=1 load * from myfile.csv;

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hey guys,

On a similar note, what if I want to use FirstSortedValue to find the location one larger than the minimum (minID+1), or one smaller than the maximum (maxID-1)?

I assume it would be something similar to the above suggestion, but adding a "+1" or "-1" somewhere, but I can't get it to work

=DATE(FIRSTSORTEDVALUE(Datefield,-MinVal+1))