Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Search Function

Hi,

I have concatenated 8 fields into one field to enable the user to 'wildcard' search only these fields for a particular value.  Since giving the user this option, they have asked if it is possible to search this field for two different values.  I have said that this inst possible using the current search facility is this correct?

Thanks for any help

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could combine several wildcard-searches with this syntax:

("*value1*"|"*value2*")

- Marcus

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I assume that you are searching in a list box. You can enter multiple criteria using the syntax

(search1|search2)    where searchn can contain * as a wildcard

For example values contain "hello" or "goodbye"   (*hello*|*goodbye*).

Quote the search strings if they contain spaces.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If the users find this confusing, train them to search and select the first value, then search and ctrl-select the second value.

You might want to consider using the Search sheet object, which can search multiple fields at once. Then it will not be necessary to create a concatenated search string which will of necessity be both long and have a high cardinality - both of which can impact performance on a large models.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein