Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prathipsrinivas
Creator
Creator

Section Access, All values are displaying when the possible value is not there in reduction.

Hi All,

I have come across one strange observation in Section Access while implementing.

I have a requirement to do row level data reduction, I achieved that using Section Access obviously.

However, when the values mentioned in the reduction field is not present in the table, it's showing all the data rather than No data available which is the expectation here.

I have tried checking Strict Exclusion, Access denied error is throwing for the reason because no value was present in the table.

It would be more appreciated if anyone could provide me the solution for the expected behavior as mentioned above.

I have attached the test document as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Prathip

Prathip
7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There is no solution because there doesn't appear to be a problem. The expected behavior for a connected Section Access table that doesn't find a corresponding value in the data model is:

• if Strict Exclusion is not enabled, show all data to the end-user
  • if Strict Exclusion is enabled, deny the end-user access to the document

See also: Section Access: Strict Exclusion

What behavior do you expect to get when there is no allowed value present in the data model? Should the end-user be able to enter the document while seeing no data at all?

prathipsrinivas
Creator
Creator
Author

HI Peter,

I hope you have taken a look at the Sample document that I have attached.

I am using more than one reduction field in the Section Access.

The difficulty here is, when data is present in one reduction field, there seems row level reduction to be happening and when value used in other reduction field doesn't present in table, all values are coming.

And yes, I am expecting user can able to enter and seeing no data at all because just some reduction values are not present in table, it doesn't make sense to lose the access, right?

You got any hack for this?

Thanks for your reply though.

Prathip
juraj_misina
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

If you want a user to be able to access the app even if there's no data for them, then you need to make sure there always is at least one record for all users. In other words, you need to generate dummy data for all users. If you do reduction on more then one field this can get tricky, but I think it is feasible.

Or
MVP
MVP

Not sure if it's a working hack for your scenario, but you could force-feed the section access values into the reduction field. There don't need to be any associated values - you just need it to appear in the actual field, so something as simple as:

Load ReductionField

Resident AccessTable;

would work.

Do keep in mind that this might impact some objects in your document, so be sure you adjust for that.

prathipsrinivas
Creator
Creator
Author

Could you please post a sample qvw document.

Thanks for the idea.

Prathip
prathipsrinivas
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Juraj for your idea.

I will try to implement and let you know how it goes.

Prathip
prathipsrinivas
Creator
Creator
Author

Your idea is working for me as expected.

Thanks a ton.

Cheers.

Prathip