Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timcooper
Contributor II
Contributor II

Section Access not always reloading

Hey all,

We overhauled our internal QlikView dashboards a few months back and ever since this happened we experience random reload problems.  

The issue is relating to the main dashboard and it not properly loading in section access, therefore it won't allow users in.  It does this randomly.  Some days this will not be a problem, other days it will happen 5 times.  

The chain of reloads is:

• QVD Generator
    • QlikMart (joins all of the QVDs  together to create the data model, plus loads in section access)
      • QlikView Dashboard (binary load from QlikMart)

When we experience problems the resolution is to reload the QlikView dashboard and this sorts it out.  So my hunch is that something isn't reloading properly sometimes.  The section access is loaded in at the QlikMart level and this never needs to be reloaded, so my thought is that the dashboard is starting its reload before the QlikMart reload has fully completed.  These are set in QMC as dependent loads, however, so I'm not sure how this is happening.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?  I've done a search of the threads and not seen anything quite along these lines.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timcooper
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

What I've ended up doing (rightly or wrongly) is creating an extra qvw with the sleep command in it.

As the final dashboard uses a binary load I couldn't put the sleep statement in the load script code so I've added an extra step to do that and changed the load dependencies in the QMC.  It's an intermittent problem so it's difficult to determine if this has resolved it.

Thanks for your help! It definitely gave me a nudge to try something. 😀

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

If there is an overlapping between the updates from the QlikMart and the Dashboard you should see it by comparing the filetime of the QlikMart and the starttime from the document-log of the Dashboard - and in general it might be the reason of your issue because Qlik called the OS for accessing the file-system and if the OS and/or your storage queued the task it might not be finished before the next access happens.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

One easy possible solution in this case if things are timing related, try putting a Pause Task in between the Data Mart and the Dashboard tasks, set it for a minute or two and see if that alleviates the issue.  I have been working with someone on something similar to where intermittently the reload failed, maybe you have done the same thing they did as well in that they had used the ErrorMode function to basically ignore all errors, so when there was an issue loading in the Section Access table, we never got notified if there were any issues, that is the only thing of which I can think that might explain things better.  Look to see if in the scripts the developers have used ErrorMode and they set it to 0 above the Section Access Load... 

Let us know where things stand otherwise.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
timcooper
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Brett,

I don't think we have publisher enabled - I can't see the Supported Tasks section so I don't seem able to add a pause task.

I can't see any error mode set to zero either.  Very strange.  I'm convinced it just needs some sort of pause inserting before the final .qvw file loads - I just can't seem to find another way of doing this.

Tim

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Tim, what folks usually do in these cases is use a generic load of some sort, can be inline statements etc. into a temp table and then drop the temp table at the end etc.  A load using autogenerate might be the easiest thing into a temp table and you can adjust the number on the autogenerate to buy you the time you need...  Hopefully that might do the trick.  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
timcooper
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

What I've ended up doing (rightly or wrongly) is creating an extra qvw with the sleep command in it.

As the final dashboard uses a binary load I couldn't put the sleep statement in the load script code so I've added an extra step to do that and changed the load dependencies in the QMC.  It's an intermittent problem so it's difficult to determine if this has resolved it.

Thanks for your help! It definitely gave me a nudge to try something. 😀