Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zac
Contributor
Contributor

Section access by field other than USERID?

Hello!

I have a section access script that is working as intended on a USERID basis:

LOAD * inline [
ACCESS, USERID,    EMPLOYEELOCATION
ADMIN,  CORP\FOO,
USER,   CORP\BAR,  LOC0001,
];

However, my list of users to get access will eventually be thousands of users so I want to prepare it dynamically.  One idea we've had is to grant access on a location basis instead of USERID...something like:

LOAD * inline [
ACCESS,  MANAGERLOCACTION,  EMPLOYEELOCATION
ADMIN,   LOCADMIN,
USER,    LOC0001,           LOC0001,
];

The intent is that any user having the special MANAGERLOCATION LOCADMIN associated with them would have ADMIN-level access, while any user with another MANAGERLOCATION would have access to rows where EMPLOYEELOCATION matches.  This lets us avoid adding users individually every time a new manager joins the company.

My instinct is that this isn't possible (the backup plan is to manage access via a imported SharePoint list), but if anyone has any advice on how it could be accomplished I'd be very grateful!

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

You can get there but you need to keep using USERID.

However, the reduction field could be location or manager location instead. Then you have a table with locations and managers which is linked to the USERID (all users are either managers or belong hierarchically to one).

Consider that for QlikView, if the user is not in the section access and the app and QMC are set accordingly, the application will not even display in the AccessPoint. So you could loop and reduce the big app to keep smaller chunks of it (by location, or country, etc.) and have another task reading the section access for that specific location, so only the users for that location, and not all users, will be in the final section access.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

You can get there but you need to keep using USERID.

However, the reduction field could be location or manager location instead. Then you have a table with locations and managers which is linked to the USERID (all users are either managers or belong hierarchically to one).

Consider that for QlikView, if the user is not in the section access and the app and QMC are set accordingly, the application will not even display in the AccessPoint. So you could loop and reduce the big app to keep smaller chunks of it (by location, or country, etc.) and have another task reading the section access for that specific location, so only the users for that location, and not all users, will be in the final section access.