Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II

Set Analysis: {"*"} as a condition counts nulls.

Is the orange output considered expected behaviour? 

odd.png

The straight table for the top data set counts records where 'ss' is not null - as expected.

The straight table for the bottom data set counts records where 'dd' is null - this only happens when the column upon which the condition is placed contains ONLY nulls. This seems highly inconsistent from a mathematical standpoint - is it an expected behaviour of set analysis?

Thanks,
J

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Now that I see your data, I understand what happens: There are no values at all in the field "dd". Then the selection {<dd={"*"}>} fails, and the count function will count all records.

However, if you add a value to "dd", everything works OK:

Henric_Cronstrm_0-1649402228671.png

This is a known limitation, that only occurs for empty fields with no values at all.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

No, it shouldn't count NULLs, so I suspect that something else is wrong. What happens if you add a second expression "=IsNull(dd)" ?

jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi.

jwaligora_0-1649349777870.png

I'm also attaching the file(s). 

I wish I had an idea to contribute, but I'm just plain unsure of what's what. Any insights will be of help.

Thanks,
J.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Now that I see your data, I understand what happens: There are no values at all in the field "dd". Then the selection {<dd={"*"}>} fails, and the count function will count all records.

However, if you add a value to "dd", everything works OK:

Henric_Cronstrm_0-1649402228671.png

This is a known limitation, that only occurs for empty fields with no values at all.

jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you for confirming. I was not aware. 

Do you know of a location where this and possibly other limitations of similar nature are documented?