Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II

Set Analysis: {"*"} as a condition counts nulls.

Is the orange output considered expected behaviour? 

odd.png

The straight table for the top data set counts records where 'ss' is not null - as expected.

The straight table for the bottom data set counts records where 'dd' is null - this only happens when the column upon which the condition is placed contains ONLY nulls. This seems highly inconsistent from a mathematical standpoint - is it an expected behaviour of set analysis?

Thanks,
J

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Now that I see your data, I understand what happens: There are no values at all in the field "dd". Then the selection {<dd={"*"}>} fails, and the count function will count all records.

However, if you add a value to "dd", everything works OK:

Henric_Cronstrm_0-1649402228671.png

This is a known limitation, that only occurs for empty fields with no values at all.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

No, it shouldn't count NULLs, so I suspect that something else is wrong. What happens if you add a second expression "=IsNull(dd)" ?

jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi.

jwaligora_0-1649349777870.png

I'm also attaching the file(s). 

I wish I had an idea to contribute, but I'm just plain unsure of what's what. Any insights will be of help.

Thanks,
J.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Now that I see your data, I understand what happens: There are no values at all in the field "dd". Then the selection {<dd={"*"}>} fails, and the count function will count all records.

However, if you add a value to "dd", everything works OK:

Henric_Cronstrm_0-1649402228671.png

This is a known limitation, that only occurs for empty fields with no values at all.

jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you for confirming. I was not aware. 

Do you know of a location where this and possibly other limitations of similar nature are documented?