Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flo2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Store values of variable in qvd

Hello all,

I would like to keep track of some variables that I calculate thanks to set analysis.

( My idea was to store the values  of the different variables in a QVD with a  column for each variable and everytime i reload it adds the new values of the variables inside the qvd as a new line. Also when  I reload it import the previous values of those variables to make an historical data graph )

So there are a lot of topics on these subjects ( like this one https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/Incremental-Load-on-QVD/td-p/1309066

But It appears that i don't fully understand.

Because what I did was:

1) Declare the variables ( I was not sure if I had to put an equal sign  or not inside

Let v_indic_1 ='count({(1<[field ]={"fvalue"}>+.... ])';

Let v_indic_2 ='=count({(1<[field]={"value "}>+1<[field]=] .... )';

2) Load previous values of variables inside the qvd and concatenate with the new ones then store all in the qvd.

ALOS:
LOAD v_indic_1,
v_indic_2,
v_indic_3,
v_indic_4,
v_indic_5
FROM
[...\ ALOS.qvd]
(qvd);

concatenate

Load
'$(v_indic_1)' as v_indic_1,
'$(v_indic_2)' as v_indic_2,
'$(v_indic_3)' as v_indic_3,
'$(v_indic_4)' as v_indic_4,
'$(v_indic_5)' as v_indic_5
AutoGenerate 1;

Store ALOS into [ALOS.qvd] (qvd);

That works but it stores the text of the formula inside the qvd and not the values of the variables.

I tried also without the ' ' to load the new values of variables ( '^(v_indic_5)' as v_indic_5...

If someone has an idea that would be with pleasure to listen 🙂

thanks for reading !

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Like above already mentioned such a calculation couldn't be done within a variable in the script. You need to create a table (pulling all relevant fields together and applying the needed transformation and aggregations) which may end in just a single row + single column = single value - which may then be stored within a qvd or also assigned to a variable.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

16 Replies
ZouhairLahlou
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Flo, 

Try like this : 

ALOS:
LOAD v_indic_1,
v_indic_2,
v_indic_3,
v_indic_4,
v_indic_5
FROM
[...\ ALOS.qvd]
(qvd);

concatenate (ALOS) 

Load
$(v_indic_1) as v_indic_1,
$(v_indic_2) as v_indic_2,
$(v_indic_3) as v_indic_3,
$(v_indic_4) as v_indic_4,
$(v_indic_5) as v_indic_5
AutoGenerate 1;

flo2
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the response but in fact when i remove the simples quotes, there is a error message.

"

Syntax error

Unexpected token: '{', expected one of: '(', ',', 'DISTINCT', 'Yellow', 'ZTestw_z', 'OPERATOR_PLUS', 'OPERATOR_MINUS', ...

concatenate (ALOS)

Load
count(>>>>>>{<<<<<<(1<[Field]={"value"}>+1<[field]={"value"}>+...]) as v_indic_1,

But, indeed when i put simples quotes, it is just text 😕

eddie_wagt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

These are front end variables/expressions (set analysis) which will not evaluate in the load script. What is exactly the reason you want the values of the variables in a QVD? 

Regards Eddie

If this answers your question or solves your issue, be sure to mark the answer as correct by clicking 'Accept as Solution'. This will mark the post as solved and other Qlikkies will gravitate towards this post as it as a possible solution for their issue. Multiple responses can be accepted as a solution so make sure to select all that apply.
flo2
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

In fact I show  the values of these set analysis directly on my application.

But i would like to keep records of former and current values to show them in a graph.

So i thought about storing the set analysis values in a QVD and add the current values eveyrtime i reload.

But my solution seems not good so 🤔

eddie_wagt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello @flo2 ,

It is better to calculate these measures in the loadscript and than you can store it in a QVD, but don't use set analysis in the loadscript. 

Regards Eddie

flo2
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ah thanks ! So I just need to convert the set analysis in expression in loadscript ? 

But sometimes it's impossible to convert complex set analysis to simple expression no ?

( in my case it is not problematic because my set analysis are not complex )

eddie_wagt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Yes, you have to convert it in the loadscript. It can be complex indeed to calculate but not impossible. If you need any help with it, let the community know.

flo2
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@eddie_wagt wrote:

Yes, you have to convert it in the loadscript. It can be complex indeed to calculate but not impossible. If you need any help with it, let the community know.

Hey back and thanks again. I think it is better to continue on this subject as it is the same question. 

( I  would like to store in a qvd file an historic of values of some variables and also store in this qvd file the day of when we stored them in this qvd )

As it was needed, I converted the variables that i had before as set analysis  in the loadscript. ( they work )

To make it work, i have this script :

var_prom is an example of variable i would like to store in qvd file.

And the lines in commentary currently are the lines i would like to use to recover the former values of the variable I stored in the qvd. Then concatenate these values with the current values.

let var_prom = count(if(match([Intern step],'...',1,0) and match([formular],'...',1,0) ,1));

/*
ALOS:
LOAD 
promEmbaucheChiff1
FROM
[ALOS.qvd]
(qvd);

concatenate (ALOS)

*/ 
ALOS : 
Load
$(var_prom) as promEmbaucheChiff1
AutoGenerate 1;

But i have an error, i think it doesn't recognise my expression for my variable . I have a Syntax error when i try to use the variable with $(var_prom)

Syntax error
ALOS :
Load
as >>>>>>promEmbaucheChiff1<<<<<<
AutoGenerate 1

Would you have some ideas to make it work ?

thanks

marcus_sommer

If the variable contains a (correct formatted) number you could call them with $(var). If the content is instead a string you need to add single-quotes to the variable like: '$(var)'.

In your case the variable will be NULL because you used LET and this means the specified content will be evaluated before the result is assigned to the variable - and you couldn't apply a count() within a variable because it would need a load-statement.

In general you could not grab any UI results within the load because to the time the load runs no UI exists.

A workaround to your aim might be to use two variables for one calculation - one contains the expression and the another will be per action/macro filled with this result - triggered by a button or any other  method. And the value of this second variable is then available by the next load-run.

By just a few occurrences it's a pragmatic approach but by many of them and/or creating a rather general approach for multiple applications you should be investigate other methods - for example a write-back logic into any data-base which your load could later read again. 

- Marcus