Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Store variables in QVD to access from QVW

Hi there,

I am seeking for a help in a current problem. I have data base with summaries tables. I can not join them all because of inflated totals and would like to create variables for later access from level above qvw. So is it possible to store variables in qvd to access them from another qvw ? Or u can advice something better for this instance. Thanks.

17 Replies
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Can you explain beter what you need?

thank you

create variables for later acces from level above qvw?

thank you

Not applicable
Author

Do you want to create variables with the totals of each summaries table's and store them in a QVD?

Not applicable
Author

I am looking for a way to set up variable what store a value in qvd/qvw to access it from another qvw. For example qvw :

table A

a,b

varb = sum(b)   //32

What is the solution to access varb value from another qvw ?

Not applicable
Author

It could be a solution, just how to do it ? Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

Why would you want to do that?

You could use the same expression in a variable in the QVW. Which use are you going to give to it?

Not applicable
Author

Ok, you have separated tables so... if you want a variable that stores a total from a field despite of the actual selections in the QVW, use SUM({1} TOTAL YourField)

Not applicable
Author

Yes I have partly separated tables and problem is - first summaries table is feeding from first set of normal tables, but second summaries table from second set of normal tables + first set of normal tables. I can not let join these 2 summaries tables due to data inconsistency rises in this case. The best way would be use variables I pass to another qvw. Is it possible ?

Not applicable
Author

Mmmmmm its quite difficult to understand..

Do you have tables with the same structure (same fields) but you don't want qlikview to automatically concatenate them? To force it to not concatenate them you should use the Qualify function before the loads:

Qualify *;

Load * FROM table 1;
Load * FROM table 2;

Load * FROM table 3;

UnQualify *;

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for Qualify - it could be useful. Just I will try to define the problem in another way.

I have qvw script with defined variable X. Is it possible to save X in a qvd as variable ? If yes, how can I access X later on from a qvw ?