Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III

Strange performance issues

Hi guys.

We're experiencing some strange performance issues. We're working with a 3GB document with some complex formulas. Obviously, these facts don't help minimize the problems.

But I think those heavy calculations aren't strictly causing the problem, because it freezes before showing the green progress bar that indicates a chart is being calculated. I mean, first it freezes for around 30 seconds (showing the typical hourglass, or a nice circle in Windows 7), and then it comes back from its freezing state, shows the progress bar for a little time (perhaps less than 2 seconds) and finally displays the chart. What was it doing during those eternal 30 seconds?

What frustrates us the most is that it can take 1 second or 30 seconds to perform the same calculation, depending on some mystery (that's what we need to figure out: what makes our QV to freeze for 30 seconds with the same calculation that could be able to perform in 1 second a couple of hours ago).

I suspect this could be about memory usage: as far as I know (I promised that I have read QV help and forum), when VMCommitted is around 70%, Windows can start swapping and that could cause performance degradation. Could that be the cause of our freezings? Swapping issues?

Also, I have read that VMAllocated + VMFree = Total Amount of Virtual Memory. Our system has 24GB of physical memory. But right now I see that VMAllocated = 23 and VMFree = 6...... 23+6=29..... Does that mean it’s already started swapping? Where has it taken those extra GB from?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Replies