Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Table Box will not show data. Big 'X'

I like to use straight tables when I want to provide the user raw data, without any functionality. It works wonderfully, and it is fairly lightweight and doesn't bloat the RAM like a Straght Table can do.

However, I have run into a problem using them. I can setup a Table Box with the columns that I need and it works perfect. However, if I try to add a new column, I get a big 'X' across the object, and it will not show. If I remove the newly added column, it shows correctly again.

The only solution that I have is to remove the object and recreate it from scratch. Then it works. But it make maintenance of that object a royal pain!

I don't think it is my dataset, it's just not that complicated. I tend to think it is some internal data structure that is not being released/refreshed with the new data column,.

Anyone else see this behavior? Any solutions.

QlikView Desktop v10.00.8815.6 SR1 x64

3 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Brian,

I have seen this in version 10 before and I think this is a bug. You should report this to support@qlik.com

Also the macro function addcolumn( ) doesn't work in this version....

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

WORKAROUND

I still cannot add columns to a table box without getting a big 'X' across the table box, but I now have a workaround.

This workaround takes advantage of the new Source Control feature described in the QV10 reference manual, section 8.1.  Simply put, it says that if you add a folder that has the right formatted name, QlikView will save XML, TXT and DAT files that have all of the property settings for the document.  The correct format for the folder is: filename (without the extension) & '-prj'.  i.e.   ABC123.qvw (file) ---> ABD123-prj (folder).  What you get is: everytime you save, this folder is populated with one file for each object in the document, plus a few others.  Very handy for incorporating the files into source control.

On the flipside, when QlikView opens up a document, it first checks for the existence of this project folder.  If found, the document is loaded up with all the properties and attributes in the individual files.  Otherwise, it just uses the qvw file.  For some reason, this process needs the original qvw file, so don't delete it!  I think there is a marker or flag in the file that tells it to use the project files.  You can dump the data from the file, but don't delete the file.

For this workaround, I am interested in the particular file for my errant Table Box.  The file will have the same name as the Object ID on the General tab for all objects.  Essentially, we will be modifying the xml file to add the new fields, and letting QV incorporate the new changes when it opens the document.

1. Once you have made the project folder, save and close the problem document. 
  2. Search for the file of the object that you want to change in the project folder.
  3. Open XML file in your favorite XML editor.
  4. You are looking for a XML node : \TableBoxProperties\Layout\ColLayouts\LTableColLayout
  5. Make a duplicate of this node at the same level as the original node.
  6. Modify the Field .\Label\v to a new label.
  7. Modify the Field .\Field\Name to the new expression.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all new fields that you want to add.
  9. Save the XML file.
  10. Open the QVW document.  Your document should now have all the new fields.  You can now modify the rest of the properties, move them around, and even delete them without causing the dreaded 'X'.

If you are not comfortable manipulating XML, you may want to ask your friendly IT person for help.

Not applicable
Author

I have created the folder as suggested.But sisnt get any file except my report(qvw file)