Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Theoretical - Can a master .qvw be used to trigger multiple .qvw ?

A bit of background first so you can understand better where this question is coming from...

• We are an End User Computing team that creates applications for a variety of reasons, one of which is to support our reporting deliverables for various internal groups.  These reporting applications may simply place an excel file in a specific directory, or run a QV report.
  • We are in an enterprise environment where all aspects of QlikView application development and promotion are highly structured.  Application developers are not allowed to use QEMC outside the development environment, nor move applications into UAT/PROD.
  • Our applications must be run from our managed production environment to be in complicance with risk and audit.
  • We must submit tickets for our production On-Demand apps, and must wait for another group to receive the ticket and reload/trigger/etc the application that we needed serviced.  This ticket submission and delay is becoming a burden as we expand our use of QlikView.

We are expanding our use of QlikView for these reporting tasks, but are becoming hampered by our internal processes and are looking for alternative solutions for triggering applications.

One option I've thought of is to leverage our BPM tool that will submit job requests as simple database records that indicate the reporting job (dedicated qvw for each job) and any parameters that are required. From there a master .qvw file scheduled to run every minute will poll that table and trigger each on-demand.qvw as indicated from the job request.

This will enable us to fully automate qvw execution without a ticket being submitted, if it's possible.  And we will only need to submit tickets for development changes to either the master qvw or a reporting qvw, but not for simple on-demand reloads or triggers.  This would obviously be a lot less complicated if we were allowed to access the QEMC directly, but that is not going to happen.

1) Is what I'm thinking theoretically possible?

2) If so, does anyone have thoughts about how that might be accomplished?

and most importantly

3) Am I overlooking a much more simple way to solve our issue?

Your thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What you are describing is EDX. See this paper.

Using EDX in QlikView 11

You can trigger server tasks from your desktop and pass parms.

This assumes you can get your prod infrastructure team to go along with this, as they will have to enable the security group on the server.

-Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Not sure I follow 100% but you can trigger reloads of other QVWs from a master QVW using the button action "Launch" and then setting the Application to the full path of the Qlikview.exe and then in the Filename you would put the full path to the QVW and pass the Parameter /r but I think this may only work locally and not on a server.

Launch.JPG

Not applicable
Author

Christian, thanks a lot for responding.  I'm really looking for a solution that doesn't require any user interaction through the UI.  These apps will all be running on our QV server, and I was hoping to execute this all via script or macro. 

Not applicable
Author

No problem Jon, sorry that doesn't help much.  Other possible option outside of QV would be executing a batch file (.bat) that simply contained "C:\Programs\Qlikview\QV.exe" /r "C:\MyDocs\MyQlikviewDoc.qvw"  however not sure if you'd have the appropriate permissions to execute on the server.  Hope ya figure something out!

Not applicable
Author

Great out of the box thinking, but even the group that handles our tickets can't access anything on the server except for the QEMC.  Gotta love the enterprise environment...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What you are describing is EDX. See this paper.

Using EDX in QlikView 11

You can trigger server tasks from your desktop and pass parms.

This assumes you can get your prod infrastructure team to go along with this, as they will have to enable the security group on the server.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob, that looks like exactly what is needed.