Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Trouble with decimal settings ... again

Hi,

I have a value that I have calculated in my script as >> 24,93051 <<.

Script settings are:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SET ThousandSep='.';
SET DecimalSep=',';
SET MoneyThousandSep='.';
SET MoneyDecimalSep=',';

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So the comma should be used as decimal_separator - I know that QlikView calculates with the opposed settings internally. Right?

So when I type

>>  round([that value], '0.0001' <<

should not that round the output to four decimals?

Well, it doesn't. Instead this gives me 0.0025 or something.

So what do I have to do to get this value rounded to four decimals?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

30 Replies
avinashelite

Hi DataNibbler,

Really sorry, I didn't observe you words.

To Make it simple.

NUM() function  converts only numbers to desired for according to our requirement , if your input is a text format number then num() will not help us in formatting the same. NUM() works only on numbers.

NUM#()

If it is numbers that are expressed as text, you can use the num# function

to make sure that they are seen as numbers, It works on string to number conversion ,The # functions will return

the original value as the text portion of the dual.

The # functions apply a format string to the incoming value. If it parses correctly as number

then it loads the value as a number.

Hope this helps you !!

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

THi Avinash,

well, this helps me in a way - yet I'm no further.

So num# will actually only be the correct function to use if what I have is a TEXT, right?

Well, what I get from Excel is already numeric, only it has the "comma" as decimal_separator which causes nothing but trouble lateron. I will tell you exactly what I have:

(I have already posted what my script settings are on the "Main" tab. Essentially, the "comma" is set as the decimal_separator to use)

LET v_MinSatz_syncreon_pre = PEEK('Minutensatz_€');

// That comes from the Excel_file (in Excel formatted as numeric with four decimals, it has the , as decimal_separator),

// the variable now reads >> 0,4017 <<

// It is numeric all right (tested with ISNUM())

Now I guess I have to turn that around - for somewhat later in the script, I have another value (without decimals)

to be multiplied with that, and the output has some decimals (I make it four using num()).

=> That second value is numeric all right and also has the "comma" as decimal_separator.

<=> Still later, I compare that to a third value which also has the "comma" as decimal_separator and four decimals and actually looks identical - but the IF_query tells me they are not equal.

Thanks for helping! I really don't want to spend another day messing around with this ...

avinashelite

Do one thing, convert all your number to single format in the script i.e with or with out comm all to one format ..then perform the calculation on top of this .

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Avinash,

I just looked over my script.

Apart from this, there are no specific formatting functions applied to the data - I load it like it is in Excel. All the values have the "comma" as decimal_separator, as it is set up on the "Main" tab of my script. It is actually all quite uniform.

That's what confuses me - I just don't understand why at the end QlikView still tells me that those two identical-looking values (both numeric, with four decimals and the "comma" as separator) are not equal.

I will try using a formatting (the num() function) on every one of those values. Maybe that helps ...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

This is really driving me nuts.

It seems that when I leave the variable as it is - with the "comma" as decimal_separator, then as soon as I try to multiply another value with that in my LOAD, QlikView produces an error because that "comma" is misinterpreted. So I have to somehow turn that around.

Maybe it would work if I take two steps - first I apply a REPLACE - that works, but the outcome is not numeric anymore - and then I use num# to make it numeric, specifying how I want it to be formatted.

sasiparupudi1
Master III
Master III

Please close this thread if you have got your answer

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Sasidhar,

I will.  But the issue is not yet solved - I'm still discussing with Avinash, but that is further up - the different options of replying make this a bit confusing.

I think I have now understood that num# is a function that is only applicable when I have a value formatted as TEXT. Right? I get a numeric value from Excel all right, it just has the "comma" and that is causing trouble, so I need to swap it - so I use REPLACE() which converts it to TEXT and then I use num# (with four parameters) to make it into a numeric value like

>>  0.4017  <<

sasiparupudi1
Master III
Master III

Yes

Num# can convert a given string to a number based on the given format code. if the number format does not match with the format code then the input string is returned back else a number is returned.

Num can format a number based on the given format code

The format code that is used really dependent on your requirement..If nothing is supplied, it uses the operating system default format.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Avinash,

finally I think I have made it - though I don't quite understand.

I had a few variables, all numeric, all with the "comma" and a few values from tables to multiply with those, all numeric, all with the "comma" - still, at the end of it, I had two identical-looking values, but the IF_query told me they were not equal.

Now I did the same to the final values once again - I used first the Replace() (to swap the "comma" with the "dot") and then num# to get a valid numeric value again - and now the query tells me they are equal.

Eventually I have to find out what is the root cause of this strange happening - else I will have the same kind of trouble again and again. It must be connected to the fact that the basic settings in Excel are in German formatting - the "comma" as separator - I cannot change those, I have no admin_rights on my machine, so I have mirrored those in the SET commands in my script, but the internal calculations of QlikView are done the other way round.

Well, I guess this is solved. Thank you all!

avinashelite

Cool!! its the common issues with excel files, glad you resolved it