Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Unable to open my OWN .qvw files - other solutions didn't work!

Hi,

As per others on this forum, I found myself unable to open my own .QVW files.  Following this thread (*** Unable to open my own QVW files (QV Personal Edition) ***), I uninstalled Qlikview; deleted all QlikTech entries from my registry, removed all .QVW files from my computer, rebooted, checked the Registry was clean, and re-installed Qlikview.

I then opened Qlikview, created a new document, saved it, closed it, re-opened it.  It did not recognise the file as mine - as in "This document was created by another Qlikview Personal Edition user".

Relevant factors:

a) No other QlikTech products ever installed;

b) The version being installed was 11, on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine;

c) The disk drive came from another computer, because the original hard disk had died.  Both this computer and the one that originally had the (replacement) drive had had versions of Qlikview installed on them in the past.

That last one is the only non-routine factor I can think of, but it may be a red herring, since Qlikview was uninstalled and wiped from Registry.  Unless there were other traces of Qlikview that persisted, hitherto unmentioned...

Any thoughts or ideas?

SS

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Solution:

Open a document and accept it as coming from a different user.  This uses up one of your "three strikes" for foreign documents, but from then on, you can open all your own documents.

I can only assume this phenomenon relates to having disk drive from machine A installed in machine B, where both had QV installations in the past.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

I would say you haven't found all entries maybe within the program folder or your user profil and maybe there are another "cookies" elsewhere. You should be careful with your four recoverie keys then the afterwards efforts for a re-installation aren't small.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

If you are running a personal edition, try to create a new document but don't open any previous documents as your registry key would be different. For the first time you can choose yes and save in any location.

In the worst case, uninstall QlikView, get the latest version of QlikView and install again.

Thanks,

Sai

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your response, Sai.

To clarify: after re-installing, the FIRST thing I did was create a new (blank) document and save it, then try to open it again.

And yes, I DID uninstall Qlikview, get the latest version, and then installed again.

So I have already tried your suggestions, and - I feel - all the obvious solutions.  I had not found any remnant traces of Qlikview anywhere; I checked that there were no *.QVW files left, or any file named *qlik*.  I rebooted after it was clean, and once freshly installed, I tried opening the newly created from within Qlikview; opening from Windows explorer with Qlikview not running; and opening from Windows explorer with Qlikview running.

So I'm thinking it's not any of the obvious.

Any further thoughts?

Not applicable
Author

Marcus,

Thanks.

I uninstalled; I removed the Registry entries; I removed all *.QVW files from the system; I removed all files/directories labelled *qlik*.

If you have any more, or specific, suggestions of anything further to look for, please let me know.

SS

Not applicable
Author

Solution:

Open a document and accept it as coming from a different user.  This uses up one of your "three strikes" for foreign documents, but from then on, you can open all your own documents.

I can only assume this phenomenon relates to having disk drive from machine A installed in machine B, where both had QV installations in the past.