Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Unexpected NULL behavior

I am near the point of insanity trying to figure this out.

Here is the background.

I have a Straight Chart in my application that is supposed to display either disconnected services, or returned items. Because those items come from different data sources, I started with an expression:

if((CustomerName=DiscCustName) or (CustomerName=RMACustomerName), CustomerName,Null()). This column was then set to suppress null results. The "CustomerName" field is from an orders table and is constant.

Yesterday I updated from QV10 to QV11.

I noticed that 2 of my rows went missing with my most recent reload. I hadn't made any loading script changes or any settings changes. I checked my data sources, and the information is present and identical in both source files.

(Screenshots are from QlikView Tech Brief "NULL and Nothing v3.")

Null Propagation.png

I thought that maybe there was a syntax change for the relational operators ("or"," and", etc.) ,so I began stripping away the operators and trying different relational operators but could not get an expected result. Finally I went to the simplest relationship I could think of... a string concatenate. I set my null and missing indicators to say "NULL" or "MISSING", just to be sure. I set up a column to evaluate RMACustomerName&DiscCustName, expecting to get a NON-NULL result. Based on the QV Tech Brief that is screen-shotted below. (Scroll Down)

Null String Concat.png

Instead I got the results in the chart below. THESE ARE SCREEN SHOTS from the SAME CHART. I have reversed the order of the operands. I've combed through all of the Chart and Document Settings. I am completely lost on what is happening. Please advise if you can.

ex1.pngex2.png

I cannot attach the APP because it contains protected information.

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I get your question, but it's kind of hard to resolve without seeing a sample file. You can address your privacy concerns by using the scrambling and reduction as explaiined here

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1290

You may also consider proparing a hand coded simple example that contains just enough data to illustrate the problem. I often find that building such an example helps me to refine the problem statement and sometimes points out the resolution.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the  Scrambling Tip. I've attached a copy of the APP.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the  Scrambling Tip. I've attached a copy of the APP.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't see the attachement?

-Rob