Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Use windows authentication for Section Access

Hello,

Is there a way to implement section access using user's windows authentication and not use the Excel file to store the admin usernames and passwords. Storing the values in an excel sheet is a route our team does not want to go.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

13 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

you may use NT-name without password - so will be handed via Windows, so users might be handled without any extra list,

but you will need to specify somehow the administrators in a separate table

HTH Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Peter I tried using the NTNAME without password but it does not prompt me to enter credentials when i save and open the document.

Instead of user1( as mentioned below in example) in my app I have written my actual windows user id.

Am I missing any extra step here. I did go to Document properties -> Security -> check/uncheck the rights user has and checked Admin overrides property.

Access;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, NTNAME

ADMIN, user1

USER, user2

]
;

Section Application;

Not applicable
Author

Hello All,

I am struggling with this, can anybody please help.

Thanks you.

prieper
Master II
Master II

First command should be SECTION ACCESS.

You need to close the QV-application before re-opening an application, as QV "remembers" your rights - and the creator has ADMIN-rights till the application is closed.

Peter

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The NTNAME should work. But it does not prompt you for a userid - it just uses the credentials as supplied by the OS; that you used when you logged on to windows.

Use "Section Access" as the first statement and use upper case for the user names.

HIC

quwok
Creator III
Creator III

Did you make sure that the NTNAME is in the form <domain>\user1

Not applicable
Author

I did write NTNAME in the form <domain>\user1. With username in uppercase.

My username is a mix of letters and numbers could that be a problem?

@Peter: After I closed -> reopened it -> tried to reload the data ->there is a  dialog box that says ADMIN required-> After I hit OK -> I get the message saying Execution of Script failed. Even though I've given Admin access to myself.

My username is a mix of letters and numbers could that be a problem? Also I've written Section Access script in Hidden script window but added the Statement Section Access in the window where I have my main script. Is this the correct way to go?

Thank you all very much for your time. Appreciate all the help.

Untitled.png

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Do you have a binary statement in your script?

Not applicable
Author

Nope I dont have Binary statement, do I need to have it?