Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Date Variables in Set Analysis

I have a set analysis expression with two variable, Date, and Forecast.

=sum({<Date={'7/31/2011'}, Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance)

I am trying to use a more flexible expression for the Date variable.  Essentiall I want the date to be the most recent with an Actual value.

I have tried using a sql select statement to create a new variable named CurrentDate in the load:

sql select MAX(date) as CurrentDate from graph_data where Forecast = 'actual';

This works fine and the value of CurrentDate is correct.  But when I try to add this new variable to the set analysis, it doesn't work:

=sum({<Date=CurrentDate, Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance

Is this possible?

I have also tried to get a date based off of today() function.  Using Date(MonthEnd(Today(), -1)'MM/DD/YYYY') I can a date I can live with.

However if I substitute this expression into the set analysis for '7/31/2011' it will not work.

=sum({Date={'(MonthEnd(Today(),-1)'MM/DD/YYYY')}, Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance

In reading past posts this may not be working due to MonthEnd() adding time onto the value.

If I try a if(CurrentDate = Date, 'True', 'False') or substitute the expression above for CurrentDate I do get a True value for Date 7/31/2011, so they do equal in this expression.

Any Advice?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

That's because you dont have to set that variable in a script, but you should just set a document variable.

If you go on "Settings" you will see "Variable Overview", there you can set a document variable, which you can use in your set analisys expression.

Let me now

View solution in original post

12 Replies
lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi

I have 2 suggestions:

1) if you wanna use a variable, try setting document varibla, not loading a field in the script. like this:

CurrentDate = max({1} Date)

then you can try this in your expression:

sum({<Date=$(CurrentDate), Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance)

2)if you wanna use the "monthend" way, you can try using the floor() function, this should completly eliminate the time from the date:

=sum({Date={floor((MonthEnd(Today(),-1))}, Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the response, but I couldn't get either suggestion to work. 

I copied in CurrentDate = max({1} Date) in to the qlikview load statement and it errored out on reload. 

I also tried the floor statement, but the expression builder has an issue with the { before floor.

I may be forgetting something, I am still very new to this. 

lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

That's because you dont have to set that variable in a script, but you should just set a document variable.

If you go on "Settings" you will see "Variable Overview", there you can set a document variable, which you can use in your set analisys expression.

Let me now

Not applicable
Author

I was able to create an expression that returns the correct date I am looking for:

=max({<Forecast={'Actual'}>}Date)

I created a document variable CurrentDate and defined it with the above expression.

But when I try to add the variable in the set analysis expression

=sum({<Date={CurrentDate}, Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance)

It does not work.  Am I plugging CurrentDate in correctly?

lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

you write the variable like this:  $(CurrentDate)

try with that

Not applicable
Author

Worked.  Thanks, I appreciate all of the help.

Any idea on how I can now create another variable for the previous month.

So if =max({<Forecast={'Actual'}>}Date) returns 07/31/2011

I need to now get 06/30/2011

lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Give a look at the function monthend()

that can help you doing what you need setting the right parameters

Not applicable
Author

I have been able to create another variable based on either:

=Date(MonthEnd('$CurrentDate)',-1,'MM/DD/YYYY')

or

=Date(AddMonths('$CurrentDate)',-1)'MM/DD/YYYY')

both of which give a value of 6/30/2011

But if I use this variable in a set analysis express as I did with the first variable I don't get a value

so =sum({<Date={'$(PreviousDate)'),Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance gives me a value of 0

but =sum({<Date={'$(CurrentDate)'},Forecast={'Actual'}>}AvgBalance gives me a real value

I thought that maybe using a variable inside another variable could cause problems, so I replaced the '$CurrentDate' in the variable definition with CurrentDate's equation.  That still returned the proper value for the PreviousDate variable, but once used in an expression it returns the same 0 value.

Not applicable
Author

Figured it out, looks like it didn't like the MM/DD/YYYY format, had to be M/DD/YYYY.  Thanks.