Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Variable as a Dimension

I have a variable/set analysis problem that i have tried to resolve for the last couple of day without much success. I hope this forum could point me to the right direction.

I have a variable,

vRate =(
               (
sum(aggr(sum(DISTINCT [RegionA]), [TransID]))*0.21) +
               (
sum(aggr(sum(DISTINCT [RegionB]), [TransID]))*0.25 )
               )
               /
               (

Count({$<Complete= {">0"}>} DISTINCT [TransID] )+

Count({$<Review= {">0"}>} DISTINCT [TransID] )+

)

I  want to select, and ultimately count stores where $(vRate) <= x%  on table 1 and where   $(vRate) >=y% on table 2.

Something like  Count({<$(vRate)<={y}>}Stores) but its throwing errors at the..{3}>..) mark. What could I be doing wrong?

I also tried to load the variable as a script using both LET and SET vRate =(…);

LOAD $(vRate) AS [Rate] on QVW without success.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It might be slow, but perhaps you could do it something like this:

-sum(aggr($(vRate)<=.20,Stores))

Or perhaps more clearly though less concise:

count(distinct aggr(if($(vRate)<=.20,Stores),Stores))

Though with only TransID as a dimension in your inner aggrs, I'm not sure that would work. Perhaps if Stores was added there as well

View solution in original post

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share a sample to look at the issue?

Not applicable
Author

I can't share a sample, however, the variable, vRate works fine. The expression Count({<$(vRate)<={y}>}Stores) is what is generating the error. I'm not sure if there's a better way to write the expression, or how to effectively make the variable behave as a [field] or dimension.

sunny_talwar

You can only use field names on the LHS of the set modifier. Since vRate is a calculation, it won't work here

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It might be slow, but perhaps you could do it something like this:

-sum(aggr($(vRate)<=.20,Stores))

Or perhaps more clearly though less concise:

count(distinct aggr(if($(vRate)<=.20,Stores),Stores))

Though with only TransID as a dimension in your inner aggrs, I'm not sure that would work. Perhaps if Stores was added there as well

Not applicable
Author

Worked like a charm!                                                                                                                                                 I have related question for a bar chart for the same project.. It's using the Region as Dimension and $(vtRate) as an expression. All the bars need to be visible even after a selection, i.e., disable the chart from being dynamic, other than greying out the inactive bars. I used the following expression, Sum({<Region>}aggr($(vRate),Region )) but that doesn't seem to work.. the chart still acts dynamically. Is there a solution around this?

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

May be as below:

Sum({1 <Region>}aggr($(vRate),Region ))

sunny_talwar

I think you need to ignore selection in Region within the expression you have for vRate

(Sum({<Region>} Aggr(Sum({<Region>} DISTINCT [RegionA]), [TransID]))*0.21) +
(Sum({<Region>} Aggr(Sum({<Region>} DISTINCT [RegionB]), [TransID]))*0.25)
              )
              /
              (
              Count({$<Complete= {">0"}, Region>} DISTINCT [TransID] ) +
              Count({$<Review= {">0"}, Region>} DISTINCT [TransID] ) +
              )

Not applicable
Author

This does it, but the numbers are a little inflated.. from mostly single to triple digits.

Not applicable
Author

Added parenthesis to enclose the numerator expression,  works perfect. Thanks!