Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Variable overview Options

Hi,

Why there is no option for promote and demote the variables (I just want to arrange variables as I wished.) in variable overview. Also, We are allowed to edit variable definition but we can not edit variable name. If needed, we have to delete the old variable and must to create new variable names. It would be nice to have promote demote option and access to edit variable names. Any idea? 

Capture.PNG

I doubt any one would have ever thought of it.

Regards,

Tamil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Best practice is to always define your variables in your load script. Then you can reorder them there. And it is easy to delete every one of them by doing a multiple selection in the Variable Overview. If you have them all in your load script then it is no danger in doing so. Discarding the temporary load script variables at the end of the load script is also considered best practice by doing myVariable = Null(); at the end of the script.

Furthermore I often use InputBox with several variables and there it is easy to PROMOTE and DEMOTE. I use the InputBox as a development tool all the time for this purpose and much more seldom for end-user application purposes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Best practice is to always define your variables in your load script. Then you can reorder them there. And it is easy to delete every one of them by doing a multiple selection in the Variable Overview. If you have them all in your load script then it is no danger in doing so. Discarding the temporary load script variables at the end of the load script is also considered best practice by doing myVariable = Null(); at the end of the script.

Furthermore I often use InputBox with several variables and there it is easy to PROMOTE and DEMOTE. I use the InputBox as a development tool all the time for this purpose and much more seldom for end-user application purposes.

marcus_sommer

I think you are right and that some more functionalities within the variable-overview would be here very helpful. You couldn't promote/demote the variables but you could sort them per double-click on the header and further you could get a better usability if you considered the suggestions from petter-s.

- Marcus

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can sort the variables in the Variable Overview by clicking on the column header. To sort by name click on "Variable Name". Click again to reverse the sort.

Unfortunately, the sort is not preserved when you leave the overview.

To expose the variables in the front end, use an input box. The variable overview is not accessible in Ajax mode - it is intended for development purposes. And as Petter said, define your variables in your load script.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Digvijay_Singh

Very useful tips Petter, Thanks!

tamilarasu
Champion
Champion
Author

Very useful. Atleast we need access to edit variable name in variable overview window. Anyways, Thank you all.