Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Variable using value from input box not updating

I have an input box with predefined values in drop down using 3 manually typed text strings.

The values are representative of fields within the data.

A second input box uses the value selected from the first to display the values in that field.

The formula for the second input box predefined values in dropdown is as follows:

=concat(distinct $(=chr(34) & '$(vFieldSelected)' & chr(34)), ',')

Everything works the first time a value is chosen from the first input box.

The problem is when you selected a different value from the first input box. The second input box does not update the values in the drop down.

I've tried to identify the root cause but have only been able to find different scenarios that will cause the problem to temporarily resolve.

For example, if a value is selected from a field in the app and/or cleared then the list will update. It isn't feasible to trigger an action to do this everytime the dropdown is changed.

I don't understand why the app is not refreshing the environment state to update the variable in the second input box....?

Can anyone please shed some light?

FYI - the reason for using this fairly disjointed approach is due to stylistic needs related to the dropdown functionality.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found a solution that I can live with.

I added a variable event trigger to set the second input box variable to nothing on change of the first input box variable. This seems to cause the app to refresh which handles the drop down list issue used in the second variable.

Marking as answered but would still love insight into why the variable doesn't update without this added piece.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found a solution that I can live with.

I added a variable event trigger to set the second input box variable to nothing on change of the first input box variable. This seems to cause the app to refresh which handles the drop down list issue used in the second variable.

Marking as answered but would still love insight into why the variable doesn't update without this added piece.