Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nleitgeb
Contributor II
Contributor II

Variables - check if exists

Hi there,

I´ve got some scripts in one QVW and it`s necessary to reload the script parts at different times. The reason is very easy, the raw datas exits at different times, so I can`t reload everything at once.

At the moment I`ve solved this with variables, that`s a very easy solution. These variables were declared once and setting by button constantly. With an if clause in the script it`s possible to activate /deactivate some parts (eg. if $(vScriptVariable1)  = 1 then [reload script part1…]… else [do nothing…] end if  [and start with the next if $(vScriptVariable2)  = 1). Actually there are about 20 script parts controlled with this solution.

But I`m not absolutely happy with this solution, because it`s possible to delete these variables and I have to declare again (regularly I delete all the variables especially to check correct initialization etc.). On the other hand I don`t like to declare these variable at every reload, because I`d like to know which script parts already done (shown by $( vScriptVariable1) ) = 1).

So, is there a way to check if a variable exists? (To be clear: I don’t need the value of the variable rather if the variable is declared!)

I´ve tried this with isnull($(vScriptVariable1)) nd with exists(($(vScriptVariable1)) but it doesn’t work.

The variable vTest in the example is just declared in order to show which case (Then or Else) is valid. Of course I´ve tried with a deleted vScriptVariable1 and a declared  vScriptVariable1.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Nicole

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Nicole,

Try this,

If Len(Trim('$(vScriptVariable1)')) = 0 then

Set vTest = 'Then';

Else

Set vTest = 'Else';

End If

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Nicole,

Try this,

Set vTest = 'Then';

Else

Set vTest = 'Else';

End If

sunny_talwar

Can you try this:

If IsNull('$(vScriptVariable1)') then

or

nleitgeb
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Tamil, hi Sunny,

many thanks!! This works perfect!

Of course I also tried the isnull('$()') solution but unfortunately it doesn`t work;  function len(trim('$()') works perfect, Thank you for this perfect solution, it helps soo much,

BG,

Nicole