Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Variables in FOR loop

I have a file raw_data.qvd that already exists, and I am trying to do an incremental load to add new excel files to the qvd.  It works fine if I do a loop from 1 to a variable, but not for a variable to a variable.  So how do I get it to work so I don't have to start with a fixed number all the time?

When it runs, I get this error - notice the first variable is blank:

Script line error:
FOR a= to 9

This is what I end up with in my data table for the variables, so I know they are resolving correctly:

$(N)   $(Z)
9        8

For this example let's say I have 7 files already loaded, and there are two new ones (8 & 9) that need to be loaded. I want the FOR to end up being "FOR a=8 to 9"

FOR a=$(Z) to $(N);

// ^ this doesn't work - $(Z) comes up as blank in the FOR but loads the expected value in the LOAD later on

FOR a=1 to $(N);

// ^ this works fine, but I don't want to start at 1.  The $(N) variable works fine in both examples

Let FileName = 'PATH\TEST_$(a).xlsx';
// $(a) is a variable representing the numbered file name aka TEST_1.xlsx, TEST_1.xlsx, etc.

data:
LOAD *
, $(Z) as var_z
, $(N) as var_n

, $(a) as var_a
FROM
$(FileName)
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);
Next

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Christine

I think you are mistaken - it seems that Z is not populated (at least not with a number) when the FOR statement is executed . What Z is at the end of the script is not the point. If I were solving this problem, I would step through the code before the loop in the debugger, and see what Z is doing.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

The problem is before the loop, as Z is not being determined before the loop start. Test this by forcing Z to a value of 8 before the loop, or use a TRACE Z = $(Z) command before the loop starts. You could also step through the script in debug mode to see what is happening when you calculate Z.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

I set the Z variable earlier, just didn't include it in the example.  When I get my data table in the end, the Z variable is populated.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Can you show your script of assigning value to variable Z? Are you using SET or LET?

I guess something is going wrong in assigning statement, the value for Z that you are seeing after the script execution might be previously loaded value.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Christine

I think you are mistaken - it seems that Z is not populated (at least not with a number) when the FOR statement is executed . What Z is at the end of the script is not the point. If I were solving this problem, I would step through the code before the loop in the debugger, and see what Z is doing.

Regards

Jonathan

sasikanth
Master
Master

Hi Christine Hill

There is no problem with u r code ...but Try this replace  function in place of Z variable like NoOfRows('tablename')

For a=$(n) to NoOfrows('tablename')

I am not sure but may help you

Not applicable
Author

Yeah, you guys are right!  I don't know how the variable was making it to the end ok since I was only setting it in one place.  I tweaked it a little and got it to run.  Thanks!