Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Variables within Set Analysis

Hello,

I'm trying to use the expression below but I keep getting the "Error in set modifier ad hoc element list". Can anyone help troubleshoot? Perhaps the only thing to note is that the variable vCore1Index is determined in part by another variable. I'm not sure if that's relevant. I've validated the rest of the syntax by putting in the value of the variable in single quotes and the expression has given the correct value. I've also confirmed that the variable returns the that value that it should but for some reason when I put the two together, I get the error.

=MinString({<Index3={$(vCore1Index)}>}FirstPref)

Any help is appreciated!

Geoff

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Can you share the expression behind the variable as well as the expression for the variable used within the variable?

And what do you see when you use $(vCore1Index) in a text box. If it is some kind of text with spaces, try the variable with single quotes around it:

=MinString({<Index3 = {'$(vCore1Index)'}>} FirstPref)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sunny_talwar

Can you share the expression behind the variable as well as the expression for the variable used within the variable?

And what do you see when you use $(vCore1Index) in a text box. If it is some kind of text with spaces, try the variable with single quotes around it:

=MinString({<Index3 = {'$(vCore1Index)'}>} FirstPref)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Sunny! I actually stumbled on this solution while the moderator was approving my comment but it's great to hear it validated. I was actually using double quotes but just tried the single quotes and that worked just fine. I found I was only getting this error when the value in the variable contained an '&'. I guess this was throwing the computation off perhaps because Qlikview was thinking it was part of a concatenation function. In case it's not clear, I'm very new to using variables in set analysis so feel free to share any other insights you've learned from the field. I've looked at a few whitepapers on the topic and none of them are particularly clear.

Many thanks,

Geoff