Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weighted Average

Screenshot.png

On the table above I need a weighted average for the Day 01 Weight Column total (Currently 200). To get this the formula needs to multiply the Day 01 weight for each From Group by the Head Placed and then add them all together and divide by the total Head placed. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here is what I'm looking for:

6,018 * 65 = 391,170

6,309 * 69 = 435,321

8,052 * 66 = 531,432

1,357,923 / 20,379 = 66.63

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Screenshot.pngScreenshot 2.png

Ok, so I found a formula for the weighted average and it works if I only have one Group Cd selected, but when I have all of the codes I need it to group just the amounts in each Group Cd separately. Any ideas?

Sum(Total fDay1_wt * Aggr(Sum(head_Start), fDay1_wt)) / Sum (Total Aggr(Sum(Head_Start), fDay1_wt))

Not applicable
Author

Perhaps try:

Sum(Total <Group Cd> fDay1_wt * Aggr(Sum(head_Start), fDay1_wt)) / Sum (Total <Group Cd> Aggr(Sum(Head_Start), fDay1_wt))

Sounds like you need the average to take Group Cd into account. By adding Total <Group Cd> it should ignore other dimensions and sum over each Group Cd.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Matt,

I think you are right, but the code did not return a result. Any ideas of a way to change formula around to recalculate based on Group Cd?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Brad,

That blog post Marcus posted will definitely have some good tips. Otherwise if you could post some sample data that would make it a little easier.

To trouble shoot it what I'd do is break the expression apart, just work with the numerator, for instance, until you get the number you need. Looking at my original suggestion, the Total <Group Cd> in the denominator is likely causing the issue. Maybe we need to wrap the whole expression in another aggr, like:

Sum(

aggr(

Sum( fDay1_wt * Aggr(Sum(head_Start), fDay1_wt))

/ Sum (Aggr(Sum(Head_Start), fDay1_wt))

,[Group Cd]

)

)

Hope that helps.

matt