Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a Trellis Chart?

What is a Trellis chart and and can it measure data in more than 2 dimensions. Illustrate with an example pls.

9 Replies
JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

Trellis will auto-create a brand new chart for every value in a dimension.

In the following example, i want to see how different countries are trending  with respect to sales performance. Rather than put 100s of countries on one line chart, i've split it into Regions and trellised the Region dimension.

I could have used a drill down as another way of organizing this (drill from Region-> Country). 

Capture.PNG.png

Capture.PNG.png

Not applicable
Author

s we can have 2 dimensions

trellis chart is nothing but it is used to create array of dimensions based on the chart first expression .

Not applicable
Author

sorry for above one

trellis chart is nothing but it is used to create array of chart based on chart first dimension

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Trellis chart we have an option in every chart except straight and pivot table.

If we have year and month dimensions it will devide for year year in chart with respective of every monty of that years.

if we have 2010,2011,2012,2013 data then it will devide that chart into 4 charts

for 2010,2011,2012 and 2013

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for the reply. So Trellis allows measurement of data ( which is equal to expression, right..?) across 2 dimensions, as in Jonathan's example: by year and country. The chart's function shows using 3 dimensions to get the result:- Year,  Region & country. But that is a requirement to get the output we want. Fundamentally & technically, Trellis chart is measuring data only across 2 dimensions per chart, although it is allowing us to look at third dimension which is region, by limiting the scope of each chart to region. So will this still be considered display of data in 3 D. It seems the dimension table Region has been further normalized into country (which is a dimension..?) So since it is a normalized dimension, in this particular example, Trellis is not measuring in 3 D. However is Trellis capable of doing so?  I am trying to understand this. Any comments or insight will be highly appreciated. many Thanks

Not applicable
Author

pls make it as correct answer if u satisfied

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

That is what is happening in Jonathan's example. But it doesn't have to be like that.

It's very simple: A trellis chart will reserve the first dimension to create a chart with the remaining dimensions and expressions for every value of dimension 1 that is active (selected).

As a consequence, you can also create a Trellis chart with only two dimensions (e.g. Country & Product) or with three non-related dimensions (e.g. Product, Country and Year)

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

Physically, you can show 3D as follows as well , but as you said your not comparing the 3rd dimenion values in the same graphic. Still for some kinds of analysis (trending ) its the closest... UNLESS you use the 'animate' feature which would play the graph and it will animate as the time dimension progresses

Capture.PNG.png

You can also show 3 dimensions at once using the grid diagram which is a way of  show share /percentage metrics across 3 dimensions in one view. Again not a trend and only for certain kpis.

Capture.PNG.png

Also consider Tree maps where i can show 3 levels of dimensions

Capture.PNG.png

I also suggest you open the sample that comes with your product  c:\program files\qlikview\examples\documents ->  Data Visualization

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Peter,

can you demonstrate Trellis with 3 dimensions :- by product, year and country per graphic ?(i mean dimensions in terms of data warehousing concept not relating to animation).

Thanks in advance