Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which object consumes less memory? Straight table or Table box?

Hi,

I am trying to optimize few things in my project. So, I would like to know which object consumes less memory? so that i can use that?

If table box takes less memory means, then I can do all the calculations in the script and then load in to the table box.

Please advice

Thanks,

Karthick S

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

There may be ways to write the expressions that will improve performance, and there may be ways to change the data model to reduce the memory requirements. But I guess if all you want is to display a single table with some dimensions and calculated values, and you don't need interactivity, then aggregating in script is going to use the least memory and have the highest performance.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

A table box should use less memory.

Do not do all the calculations in the script.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Karthick,

Obviously Table box consumes less memory.

But you cannot do all the calculations in the script and load as dimensions.

It depends on your requirement.

-Ashok.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Witherspoon for the quick response. If the expressions are not dynamic, then i can do all those expressions in the script itself, right? Please advice

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

OK, sorry, yes, of course you CAN do them in the script itself. But if you do, then really, QlikView is doing nothing for you other than displaying a static report. You can use QlikView that way if you really want, but that's absolutely not its strength. Its strength is in interactivity, which is destroyed by doing the aggregations in the script.

Did you try loading in the raw data and aggregating in the front end? If so, is it causing a memory or performance problem? Is that why you're asking this question?

Even if so, script aggregation is the very last thing I would try in order to resolve it. I HAVE done so. Saying "never do this" is too strong a statement, so I should have elaborated a bit. But I've only done it a few times. Once because I simply couldn't figure out any other way to make my chart perform. The other times in minimally-interactive dashboards that were specifically requested by users. But generally speaking, I do not do it and do not recommend it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, as you said I am trying to load the raw data and aggregating in the front end. So, it is causing a memory and performance issue

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

There may be ways to write the expressions that will improve performance, and there may be ways to change the data model to reduce the memory requirements. But I guess if all you want is to display a single table with some dimensions and calculated values, and you don't need interactivity, then aggregating in script is going to use the least memory and have the highest performance.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you so much. I am going to use the idea of what you said "aggregating in script is going to use the least memory and have the highest performance.".