Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tulsidaskhan
Contributor
Contributor

Why macro are not considered safe on server.

Hi,

Why VB script macros are not considered safe on QlikView server. Is there any alternate to make this safe or so. please let me know how to automate things on qlikview.

7 Replies
alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

There are several reasons macros are not recommended, among others:

Only a subset of macros will work in a server environment with thin clients (Plugin, Ajax) since local operations (copy to clipboard, export, print etc.) are not supported, though some of these have a server-side equivalent (e.g. Server-SideExport etc.) that is very expensive in terms of performance with each client effectively affecting the server performance in a negative way.

Running a macro automatically deletes all caches, undo-layout buffers and undological operation buffers and this in general has a very large negative impact on performance as experienced by the clients.

The macros themselves are executed at VBS level while QlikView in general is executed at assembler level which is thousands of times faster by default. The macros will always maintain their poor performance.

Regards.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Somebody could write a macro that does something nasty and put that macro in a qlikview document. If that somebody then manages to get that document on the qlikview server then that nasty code would be executed by the Qlikview Server software with local admin privileges. Bad things could happen.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
tulsidaskhan
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Well I got your point. But then why QlikView Provide such kind of services within application which is vulnerable.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Partly because some people think they know better. Those people can change the security settings so some macro's will work. And partly because in earlier releases there were no triggers and actions and macro's were the only way to make some things happen. For this last there is no excuse anymore to use macro's.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
tulsidaskhan
Contributor
Contributor
Author

ok. My requirement is to send some chart object to PPT on a button click. but I am unable to do so. let me know how I can send charts to MS-Powerpoint on button click.

Thanks,

Piyush Jain

Anonymous
Not applicable

alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

You can do that with a macro but the user needs to use the IE Plug-in to open the application, then they can execute the macro. You should check the security settings Ctrl + Shift + M to allow System Access.

However you should take in consideration, that there's no support for Macros by Qlik, so its functionality could be dropped any time. Besides, Edge the succesor of IE dropped ActiveX support which is needed to use the Plug-in, so if the user upgrades to Windows 10 replaces IE with Edge in the future they won't be able to execute the macro.

Regards