Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

custom default (aka environment) variables ?

Hi,

Is it possible to have custom default (aka environment) variables additionally in desktop QV? Meaning that these variables will be avilable by default in all documents like the number interpretation variables. Can I add my custom variables into the set of the "number interpretation" variables, so it would be inserted into load scripts by default?

I known that there is API function to import variables from a file. Bu I couldn't find how to have "default" macros that would be run at every document load/creation...It is diffrent but related problem, to have default VBscript function library....That apperently is the way to go. For each new QV file , manually add VBscript code to include extrenal VBscript file and ExecuteGlobal its content. It will provide custom VBS functions and variables(?)

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Vlad

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

OK Vladimir, I'll show you how it works.

I have an excel sheet that has variables like this

variable, valor

var1 1

var2 0

var3 1

and inside the script of the QV document I do something like this :

(What I do is loading the excel in a table called "VariablesConfig" and then I do a peek() to get the name of the variable and their value and I put it into variables of the QV document).

VariablesConfig :

LOAD variable,
valor

FROM
[variablesConfig.xls]
(biff, embedded labels, table is Hoja1$);

Let vNroRegistros = NoOfRows('VariablesConfig');
For vI = 0 to (vNroRegistros - 1)
Let vNombre_Variable = Peek('variable',vI,'VariablesConfig');
Let [$(vNombre_Variable)] = Peek('valor',vI,'VariablesConfig');
Next

Hope it helps!!

Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hey recently I've done something similar. I load an external excel full with variables and when you load them into a QV file, they turn into document variables.

Very useful to show/ hide stuff, or maybe customize the document. I'm currently using it to put financial variables of my customers.

Here's the link :

http://community.qlik.com/media/p/139678.aspx

I hope it helps!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Marcel,

I can't open your document with my Persinal Edition. But I guess that you have some VBscrupt stuff that go though the loaded table and put field values into new variables via CreateVarable->SetContent API methods. Right? It is essentially I meant mentioning VBscript way. I couldn't find ImportVars that imported variables from text file in the QV10 API. But obviosly it is possible to replace it with VBscrip using CreateVarable->SetContent

Vlad

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

OK Vladimir, I'll show you how it works.

I have an excel sheet that has variables like this

variable, valor

var1 1

var2 0

var3 1

and inside the script of the QV document I do something like this :

(What I do is loading the excel in a table called "VariablesConfig" and then I do a peek() to get the name of the variable and their value and I put it into variables of the QV document).

VariablesConfig :

LOAD variable,
valor

FROM
[variablesConfig.xls]
(biff, embedded labels, table is Hoja1$);

Let vNroRegistros = NoOfRows('VariablesConfig');
For vI = 0 to (vNroRegistros - 1)
Let vNombre_Variable = Peek('variable',vI,'VariablesConfig');
Let [$(vNombre_Variable)] = Peek('valor',vI,'VariablesConfig');
Next

Hope it helps!!