Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

displaying dates in list box

hi

i am working with an Oracle database and  i see that the timestamps for different fields are shown in qlikview either as number or timestamp indistinctively, but to be honest i do not understand the logic. I understan qlikview treats the date values as number or text, then if i load the data into qlikview without an Interpretation function, the data shall be read as number or string, but not indistinctively, like showed in the list box attached, To be on the save side, do i always need to use the Interpretation function? why is qlikview displaying the date as number and as date in the same list box?

timestamp.png

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

SET  DateFormat='DD/MM/YYYY';

You get something like this at the top of the script. This defines your default date format for the application. If the source data matches the format it would read the underlaying numeric values formatted as date otherwise as it is as simple numbers. For your case, I guess your source data has got two different formats of data.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

What is your time stamp format in oracle?

You may try something like this

Load

F1,

F2,

DATE(DATE#(YOUR_DATE,'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss[.fff]'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss[.fff]') as Date,

F3;

sql select * from table.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Anonymous
Not applicable

in the load script do something like :

date(floor([YourDate]))     as [DateField] ,

time(frac([YourDate]))     as [TimeField] ,

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

QlikView fields are not type cast, i.e. a field can have a mixture of types. Why QlikView has recognized the format for one of the values, but not for the others, I don't know.

The solution is anyway simple. Use one of the two following

• Load the field using a formatting function: Timestamp(%CONTACT_TIMESTAMP)
  • Format it in the UI under Properties - Number

HIC

felcar2013
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

thanks all for the answers

Interpretation function seems to work well, Need to check data source formats