Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

inactive (hidden) expressions affect line chart formatting, what to do?

I wrote a simple macro to hide expression on a chart (each corresponding to a cost item calc) depending on a multiselect in a list box.

The problem is that when I hide a certain expression it still affects the formatting, so that the expressions shown on the graph are not scaled. For example, I only select misc. costs (small, say, on the order of 10) and hide all totals (on the order of 1000), and I'm left with a line at the very bottom of the chart as if the totals were shown.

The only solution I found is to assign all hidden expressions to secondary axis. If only i could hide the secondary axis itself this would've been perfect. Otherwise two axis are confusing.

Does anyone know a good solution for either forcing to scale the visible expressions or to hide the secondary access? Would be much appreciated!

-Pavel

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'd suggest disabling rather than merely hiding the expressions. I'm pretty confident that disabled expressions don't affect formatting. That's the approach I used to create dynamic charts. Every expression must then be self-contained, of course, not depending on the result of any other expression.

As for hiding the secondary axis, I think that's just a matter of setting "Hide Axis" for every expression that USES the secondary axis. So perhaps that's another approach more in line with your current one.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'd suggest disabling rather than merely hiding the expressions. I'm pretty confident that disabled expressions don't affect formatting. That's the approach I used to create dynamic charts. Every expression must then be self-contained, of course, not depending on the result of any other expression.

As for hiding the secondary axis, I think that's just a matter of setting "Hide Axis" for every expression that USES the secondary axis. So perhaps that's another approach more in line with your current one.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you much, this works!

Enabling isn't a good solution for me since cost items refer to others up the hiararchy (totals and such)

The code I used is

if (I WANT TO SHOW THIS EXPRESSION)then
cp.Expressions.Item(i).Item(0).Data.ExpressionVisual.Invisible = false
cp.Expressions.Item(i).Item(0).Data.ExpressionVisual.PrimaryAxis = true
cp.Expressions.Item(i).Item(0).Data.AxisData.Show = true
exit for
else
cp.Expressions.Item(i).Item(0).Data.ExpressionVisual.Invisible = true
cp.Expressions.Item(i).Item(0).Data.ExpressionVisual.PrimaryAxis = false
cp.Expressions.Item(i).Item(0).Data.AxisData.Show = false
end if
[/code]</body>