Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matrix123
Contributor III
Contributor III

large number of predefined expressions with "=" preceding in variable overview of qlikview/qliksense

Hi,

I have a need to render large number of KPI objects with expressions reaching 230+ to be evaluated while the objects being rendered on screen. Even the KPI objects are also huge in number crossing 200 plus. I moved all the expressions to variables  in the variable overview and defined with "=". So that it can be calculated advance during loading.

I use directly variable name in the KPI objects without $ expansion and they give me the result.

The sheet performance is still slow as there are large number of objects needs to be rendered and I believe expression calculation not taking time as it is already pre-calculated. I also have a excel defined with expressions and variable names but I do not want to load and build the variable overview with the file as then it requires dollar expansion to evaluate in front end for the KPI objects.

Anyone went into similar things and have some idea of how this can be better done?

Labels (3)
6 Replies
marcus_sommer

matrix123
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Question is same but I reframed it. I have a need to show large number of KPI objects and formulas have been kept in Qlik variable window. Currently they can not be readily available in the data model hence the need to build formulas. Also the KPI sheets users dnt need any filter, or list box.  All the KPI objects will give them the output without needing to filter or selecting.

Your reply did not answer my question as I am aware to write them in data model and using list boxes/filter.

But the need of my requirement is different.  Also I did not get your statement on expressions defined with "=" in variable window gets calculated everytime , they might get calcuated everytime when you add a new expression in the list. My expectation to add them here is bcz I dnt want them to be evaluated at object rendering in the front end. (to save some time)

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Variables with a definition that starts with an equals sign, e.g. '=Sum(Sales)' are NOT pre-calculated. They are - and they should be - re-calculated every time you click. The reason is simply that the expression evaluation depends on the selection, so they cannot be pre-calculated.

marcus_sommer

It's not clear for me why those results couldn't be calculated within the data-model if they aren't reacting to the selections.

Further why showing everything in KPI's? IMO they could be useful to highlight a few important key figures but to apply hundreds of them to replace table-views (which may in a certain degree look more like KPI's as a normal table) makes not much sense.

Therefore I suggest to consider a general change within your approach and to transfer the essential parts of your logic/calculations to the data-model.

- Marcus

Davis69
Contributor III
Contributor III

@matrix123 wrote: My HT Space

Hi,

I have a need to render large number of KPI objects with expressions reaching 230+ to be evaluated while the objects being rendered on screen. Even the KPI objects are also huge in number crossing 200 plus. I moved all the expressions to variables  in the variable overview and defined with "=". So that it can be calculated advance during loading.

I use directly variable name in the KPI objects without $ expansion and they give me the result.

The sheet performance is still slow as there are large number of objects needs to be rendered and I believe expression calculation not taking time as it is already pre-calculated. I also have a excel defined with expressions and variable names but I do not want to load and build the variable overview with the file as then it requires dollar expansion to evaluate in front end for the KPI objects.

Anyone went into similar things and have some idea of how this can be better done?

This can not be readily available in the data model hence the need to build formulas.

marcus_sommer

Why - what is so particular that the essential parts couldn't be moved to the data-model and forces to hundreds of different expressions which results must be displayed in KPI's?

- Marcus