Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II

num function

Hi,

I have 2 separate fields that I'n loading from a fixed length file. Both are numbers, and in the fixed length file we use leading zeroes.

The one field is 9 characters in length and the other is 15. I'm trying to load them in QV and turn them to numbers, dropping the zeroes, but this only wants to work for the 9-digit field. For the 15 digit field it returns NULL.

num(@42:50) as [No of Instalments],                                  // this works fine and returns e.g. 12 from 000000012

num(@60:74) as [Total of Instalments, INT & Fees],           // this doesn't work and returns NULL from 000000000123456

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Gerhards,

try

Num(Right(@60:74,14))

or

Num(@61:74)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
its_anandrjs

Try with

Num(@60:74,'################') as [Total of Instalments, INT & Fees],

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Two remarks:

• num() is not a conversion function. It's a formatting function that tries to shape values that have already been recognised by QlikView before. Use num#() to translate strings into numbers.
  • QlikView functions cannot handle string representations with more than 14 digits. You'll have to use a few cutting functions to omit the leading zeroes before you can force QlikView to convert the remainder into a dual value.

Best,

Peter

its_anandrjs

Try for both this way

num(@42:50,'#########') as [No of Instalments],                                 

num(@60:74,'###############') as [Total of Instalments, INT & Fees]

antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Gerhards,

try

Num(Right(@60:74,14))

or

Num(@61:74)

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

still returns null.

up to 14 characters works 100%, but 15+ the num function just doesn't wanna work

sunny_talwar

May be load it as text, because QlikView can only read numbers up until 14 digits

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks - this explains it really well. I marked Antonio's answer as correct because it provides a final proposal that works, but your explanation really helps

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Helpfuls can be assigned using the corresponding entry in the Actions menu (bottom left)

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I'm trying to do so, but the available actions won't load - just get this for minutes on end. Might be a browser issue... sorry, will try again later:

MWSnap040 2017-08-31, 16_19_40.jpg