Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dirk_fischer
Creator
Creator

Difference between read access and read / update access for data connections??

Hi Folks

I'm using the VizLib button for manually reloading an app. After some testing, I found that I need to create a security rule, which gives the users of the app the privilege to update the data connections, used in the load script.

I would have expected, that a read access for the data connection is sufficient,  but it isn't. Does anybody know the reason for this behaviour? 

We are using the November 2020 release of QlikSense Enterprise on virtual Windows machines, so the Qlik button does not have the reload feature yet.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards,

Dirk

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joe_warbington
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi @dirk_fischer  - yes this is expected as reloads of published apps require connection ownership or additional security rules. Qlik requires it to be a Professional license type as well. However....

Additionally, for Writeback scenarios, we have a serverless version, and the user writing the data needs access to the connections and the ability to reload a published app - this requires additional security rules spelled out here: https://community.vizlib.com/support/solutions/articles/35000156627-vizlib-writeback-table-guides-ql... . With the Enterprise version of Vizlib Collaboration, it works will all user types (Professional, Analyzer, and Analyzer Capacity) and writes and reloads are securely handled by a Qlik Service account. Here are some of the FAQs.

Please reach out to Vizlib Support and we'll help get you going. https://community.vizlib.com/support/solutions/articles/35000167040-vizlib-writeback-table-input-for...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
joe_warbington
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi @dirk_fischer  - yes this is expected as reloads of published apps require connection ownership or additional security rules. Qlik requires it to be a Professional license type as well. However....

Additionally, for Writeback scenarios, we have a serverless version, and the user writing the data needs access to the connections and the ability to reload a published app - this requires additional security rules spelled out here: https://community.vizlib.com/support/solutions/articles/35000156627-vizlib-writeback-table-guides-ql... . With the Enterprise version of Vizlib Collaboration, it works will all user types (Professional, Analyzer, and Analyzer Capacity) and writes and reloads are securely handled by a Qlik Service account. Here are some of the FAQs.

Please reach out to Vizlib Support and we'll help get you going. https://community.vizlib.com/support/solutions/articles/35000167040-vizlib-writeback-table-input-for...

PadmaPriya
Support
Support

Hello @dirk_fischer 

Please refer to below article to know information about access control.

Information on access control 

Thanks,

Padma Priya

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
dirk_fischer
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello PadmaPriya

thank you very much for your response. I looked at the article, but unfortunately it does not explain, what's the difference between giving the user the privilege to read from a data connection and to update from a data connection. Probably there is a difference in the functionality and I would like to understand this difference.

Maybe it's just that for reloading an app, you have to have the privilege to update the app and also to update the data connection - so a sort of "as designed".

To know the reason behind the requirement would give me a better understanding of what#s going on that's what I'm looking for.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your support.

Best regards

Dirk

dirk_fischer
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi @joe_warbington

thank you very much for your reply. So if there is a design requirement to have connection ownership for reloading published apps, then the update privilege is the requirement to have, if you want to reload such an app with a VizLib action from the button.

I have the administrator role myself, so it's logical, that I don't have any problems reloading the app, even if the data connection belongs to the Qlik service account.

Thank you very much for the hint with the professional license type - in the moment we are using these licenses only, but in the future this might change and then there is something to be taken into consideration before building an app with reload functionality.

Best regards,

Dirk